Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two piece guide rod

austinkroe

It is a complicated explaination on why I want to do it but I just was wondering if it was possible.

I have a two piece FLGR and I want a one piece. However, I am extremely cheap and I would like to know if it is possible to just drill a hole in it and have a one piece without affecting reliability.

If so, how do I do it? Where does the hole go? What are good ways to clean up the edges of the hole? What is the right hole size?

Short answer is Yes.

As to where to drill, simplest way is to lock the slide back and mark the rod.

Size bit to use dont remember off the top of my head, but just biger than a paperclip.

Clean up with a fine file, sandpaper or polishing wheel (perfered method)

I have set up a few two piece GR in the same way, I also red loctite the sections to keep them from comming seperated.

To make marking the GR a bit easier remove the recoil spring assemble the GR in the slide and push the GR forward into the spring tunnel mark it about 3/16-1/4" from where the GR exits the front of the slide (this will allow the addition of a shock buff or two if you decide to add later). As far as the drill size I use 1/16" drill and drill about 1/2 way through the GR

I have set up a few two piece GR in the same way, I also red loctite the sections to keep them from comming seperated.

To make marking the GR a bit easier remove the recoil spring assemble the GR in the slide and push the GR forward into the spring tunnel mark it about 3/16-1/4" from where the GR exits the front of the slide (this will allow the addition of a shock buff or two if you decide to add later). As far as the drill size I use 1/16" drill and drill about 1/2 way through the GR

Crusher, can one also do this with a tungsten 2 piece guide rod? I have one in my SVI I would like to convert into a one piece GR.