Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ion Bond and Plating

EricW

I'm very close to embarking on the project that I've been mulling over for some time: a high-cap Limited racegun set up for carry / competition. I'm going to have it plated and/or IonBonded depending on what tolerances need building up, if any.

Does anybody have experience with chroming or IonBonding items like hammers, sears, disconnectors, springs etc? The goal is to have a pistol with high corrosion and wear resistance. I'm just not sure if the prep for IonBond will kill the hammer/sear hooks or not.

I'm cool with the tolerance stackups. That I understand. I even found out from the IonBond guy, that his coating will go over hard chrome quite nicely. And for what it's worth, I'll probably go for the chrome-chrome treatment from IonBond.

Anybody have experience with plating internals? I didn't have time to call Tripp this week, so I'll ask here.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

I'm very close to embarking on the project that I've been mulling over for some time: a high-cap Limited racegun set up for carry / competition. I'm going to have it plated and/or IonBonded depending on what tolerances need building up, if any.

Does anybody have experience with chroming or IonBonding items like hammers, sears, disconnectors, springs etc? The goal is to have a pistol with high corrosion and wear resistance. I'm just not sure if the prep for IonBond will kill the hammer/sear hooks or not.

I'm cool with the tolerance stackups. That I understand. I even found out from the IonBond guy, that his coating will go over hard chrome quite nicely. And for what it's worth, I'll probably go for the chrome-chrome treatment from IonBond.

Anybody have experience with plating internals? I didn't have time to call Tripp this week, so I'll ask here.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

I had all the internals on my pistol treated by IONBOND and my trigger feels as good as it was before. I was told they won't do springs though. The treatment ruins them.

Angel

Eric, I have had a few guns plated. I will NEVER EVER plate another extractor, hammer, or sear. First, they don't need it. Second, every one of the top shelf sears and extractors I have ever broken were plated. I won't plate a barrel either, I can afford another barrel every 30K+ rounds, not a big deal. I want the cheap and easy parts to replace to be softer, and barrels fit that category. Everything else is fair game though, plate on plater!!!

I couldn't tell my elbow from Ion Bond. I need to learn more about it. Then if it is a DLC type coating that I do know a bit about I am not touching small parts with it.

Big and/or expensive parts get plated/coated, the smaller parts that run in those big parts I want to keep the way I got them, it works out better that way.

Eric, I just got a new single stack( its in the gallery now). Frame is hard chrome by Tripp and the slide is ion bond. Clearances were not any diffrent than usuall. Pistol is tight but silky smooth. I dont like to plate hammers, sears or barrels and they were not done on this pistol. The extractor and fireing pin stop did go to ion bond. Pistol only has about two hunderd rounds thur it and so far has been flawless. With the hard chrome, ion bond and carbon fiber grips this should be one tough pistol.-----------Larry