Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Seating Dillon 550

I had an intermitted proble seating primers... I noticed when a case was a little hard size and the handle jerked a bit coming down I often would have a seating issue on that case. That lead me to believe that the case might be moving slightly in that position. I looked at the spring retainer and found it to be slightly out of alignment. I adjusted it to a better position and have loaded a few hundred and haven't felt that "bump" from a misaligned case. Here is an image of the spring and proper adjustment.

The spring should ride on the rim to keep it from being snagged when you index.

1.jpg

Edited by JThompson

I had an intermitted proble seating primers... I noticed when a case was a little hard size and the handle jerked a bit coming down I often would have a seating issue on that case. That lead me to believe that the case might be moving slightly in that position. I looked at the spring retainer and found it to be slightly out of alignment. I adjusted it to a better position and have loaded a few hundred and haven't felt that "bump" from a misaligned case. Here is an image of the spring and proper adjustment.

The spring should ride on the rim to keep it from being snagged when you index.

1.jpg

Comon people this pos was helpful. ;P

Hi J. Thompson,thanks bro for your info regarding the indexing spring I really dont notice that thing in my 550.this would be a helpfull tips to us beginners.

YW. I learned it the hard way and just wanted to pass it along... if one person found it helpful it's worth the time. ;)

The first 500 rds or so that I loaded, I didn't even use that PITA overgrown paperclip. I was able to more accurately align the brass properly with my thumb when seating primers. I got wise after speaking with another local reloader, and have been much faster as a result. Thanks for taking the time to place a nice example of what it should look like...we're all new reloaders at one time or another :P

The first 500 rds or so that I loaded, I didn't even use that PITA overgrown paperclip. I was able to more accurately align the brass properly with my thumb when seating primers. I got wise after speaking with another local reloader, and have been much faster as a result. Thanks for taking the time to place a nice example of what it should look like...we're all new reloaders at one time or another :P

It does the job, but I think they could have designed something a little more high tech. The tweak and bend thing isn't for everyone. :)