Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Major 9 ?

I'm getting a G34 set up for open major 9. Using the search function I've found some loading data, the ? I have is why not use the published VV data for 3n38 and a 147 bullet? It easily makes major w/SP primers and not overly high pressure.

Comments would be appreciated 'cause I'm really green in this open shooting, thanks.

Sierra has some published data in 9x21 that will make it with thier 125g bullets. I've posted it before somewhere...Univ. Clays, HS6 and 3N37 all get there.

9x19 ought to as well ?

Agree 100%. While there ARE some published warnings about hot 9x21 data not being interchangeable w/ 9mm, I think those warnings are largly UNFOUNDED where they show an OAL that is the SAME as 9x19mm (ie max of about 1.169").

-Why? The 9x21mm case is NO stronger than 9x19mm and at the same OAL, they have the SAME case capacity. Plus, the guns chambered in 9x21 are not "stronger" than those same guns chambered in 9x19mm.

If you find 9x21mm data for Major at a length equal or less than 1.169, I would consider working that load up to major in 9x19mm too.

I use 8.8gr of HS-6 with a 115gr Zero JHP for about a 170ish PF. HS-6 works nice in short compressed loads, pretty clean burning.

Watch for shavings from primers flowing back into the FP hole. They won't flatten out the same as in a 1911 platform.

another note, I've made major in a glock (1.150" OAL) with Unique, Power Pistol, and HS-6 with no real pressure issues with fed small pistol primers.