Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

switching shotgun tubes during match.

Lets say I were shooting Open shotgun and I normaly run the 8+1 tube (I have a 21"barrel) because I like shorter lenght for working in ports. Then on another stage there would be an advantage by running a 10+1 tube. Can I switch out tubes during a match? Kind of like switching between 140mm and 170mm magazines in pistol.

I assume I can change choke tubes also

If you're asking about USPSA rules then NO, changing mag tubes during a match should not be allowed.

Rule 5.1.7 requires you to use the same shotgun throughout the match. Changing tubes would mean you no longer have the same shotgun.

Rule 5.1.8 reinforces this by stating:

• 5.1.8 A competitor who substitutes or significantly modifies a shotgun and/or sights during a match without the prior approval of the Range Master will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6.

Changing mag tubes as per your query gains a significant advantage and therefore falls foul of "significantly modifies".

Changing choke tubes is OK.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're asking about USPSA rules then NO, changing mag tubes during a match should not be allowed.

Rule 5.1.7 requires you to use the same shotgun throughout the match. Changing tubes would mean you no longer have the same shotgun.

• 5.1.8 A competitor who substitutes or significantly modifies a shotgun and/or sights during a match without the prior approval of the Range Master will be subject to the provisions of Section 10.6.

Changing mag tubes as per your query gains a significant advantage and therefore falls foul of "significantly modifies".

I would like to see a real ruling on this one.

The reciever is the same so the same shotgun is used, the barrel and the reciever are the same as original.

Changing the tube is just changing the feed device not changing the gun. You can change from 140 to 170mm mags in an open pistol or change from 5 to 8 to 10 round mags in a Sega, so changing the tube length is the same.

Edited by blkbrd

I would like to see a real ruling on this one.

The reciever is the same so the same shotgun is used, the barrel and the reciever are the same as original.

Changing the tube is just changing the feed device not changing the gun. You can change from 140 to 170mm mags in an open pistol or change from 5 to 8 to 10 round mags in a Sega, so changing the tube length is the same.

Both Pistols and Saigas were designed to be reloaded in this manner --- tube shotguns weren't, and most would not function with the tube removed, ergo it's part of the shotgun, and subject to the "significantly modified" part of the rules.....