Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Work Up Drill On Partials

Here's a drill I don't think I have psoted but one I go back to consistently. This is the same array from this thread.

So I start with the partials, three shoots, two no-shoots in between.

OK, so everyone has some type of array they like to play on. I use partials so there's never an easy shot. I use the same set up so I can track progress objectively.

Here's my idea, and reason for posting this.

I can do a lot of different drills as my proficiency improves and things get closer to match time. If I get lazy or hit a plateu, or need to polish something particular then I always have something simpler and something tougher to work on. I haven't perfected the final drill to the point that it ever gets boring or easy. And besides, I can always add more distance.

Here's a few examples. In rough order from earliest / easiest to toughest.

Slow fire step back drill. 5-35+y. I start with three full mags, and put a coke can sized circle on each target right where I want the hits. On partials it's usually edging the A-zone to the safe side. On the zebra or an open target it's a little high, centered, or if I use Robots, it's in the head.

I still take a beep and make a snappy draw, but I don't even look at the time. Whatever it takes from each distance. Three slow rounds. No two-fers, I want accuracy not a double tap habit.

I'll do it once each target until I am making a nice round group, right where I am aiming. I know that seems really simple, but it's somthing I always work on and need confidence in. Do this enough and nothing they show you in a local match is tough.

Draw test: One and two shot draws, no closer than 10y EVER!!! Reinforces that snappy first move, and "kodak moment" PaulW and TJ talk about. Like Ricky Bobby, this will begin to work on your fear of "going fast" around no-shoots. When I am tuned up on this one, the sights appear right where I am looking and the hole appears where the sights were, so I gain a lot of confidence. The speed is a by product of that.

Once Across: Sort of a "Demi-Prez". 6 shot drill. Go both L to R and viceee versi. Never closer than 10y.

Vice Prez: Or facing Targets, 2 each, reload 2 each. I do this like a standards, at various ranges, again never closer then 10y. I pay special attention to what I need to see of the sights at the different ranges and this is as close to practicing draw and reload drills as I usually get. At any given distance I want them within a tenth or so or each other.

Rotating start, once across: This one I do more than the regular once across. I'll do one mag worth at a time. 3 runs, 6 shots each for 18 rounds before I paste and start over.

First time shoot T1, T2 then T3. Then start on T2, go 2,3,1, then start on T3 and go 3,1,2. Tape and start over from the right. Go 3,2,1 then 2,1,3 then 1,3,2. Yes, I know you are jumping over a target like you rarely do in matches, but for me at least it teaches crisp precise gun movement, and triggering only when the white guys are out of the way.

Once I get to the point I am shooting snappy, clean runs on that drill back to 20y or so, I will likely add movement and some strong hand & weak hand.

SHO WHO I don't do a lot of this but working some "at speed" drills on this array, 10y and out, will sure make you pay attention.

Move in, Move out. Work around a semi-circle, approaching your shooting position from all angles. Random distances from 3-10y so you don't get caught working out dance steps. At the beep make a good draw and explode out of one position, and into the next, fire a well aimed shot as soon as the sights permit. I do it as a one, two and six shot drill. GREAT leg workout.

Once you have that, practice starting in the box and moving out of the position just as you finish the array. Add a snappy "blast off" reload and you have two good drills for field courses.

California stop: Same deal as above, start 3-10y away, charge in, shoot "from the box" charge out. Add a reload. "California stop" is my favorite drill for movement and field courses. It hits points AND movement hard!! Note: If I were serious about single stack, Production, or God forbid, L10 I would try to train a reload EVERY time I "blasted out" after shooting.

Fault line to start, keep moving: This is the upper end in difficulty for this drill, at least for me, so far (no limits, right? B) ). Same start as the two above. 3-10y away from FAULT LINE this time. Draw and only begin shooting once you cross the fault line, but this time keep moving slowly as you shoot. So smoke in, slow down as much as you need to to shoot and explode out. Add a reload as you leave the position.

You can also use a barricade, or edge of a wall section and begin shooting once you clear the vision barrier.

Once I am doing this one comfortably out past 15y (partials at 15 are pushing things for me) then I am getting pretty well tuned up. You'll also notice how much you have to slow down at 15+ vs. 10y. Watch the vids of "the boys" at a big match, they do this kind of thing all the time.

Any of this make any sense? Please ask quesitons and add ideas. Thanks!!

Edited by dirtypool40

I like them.

The drill I like to do for shooting on the move is 3 targets (head only) about a yard between them. Shoot them on the move from 25 to 10 yards. You don't shoot too fast, but it sure hammers in what you need to do for an acceptable sight picture while shooting on the move.

Thanks Jake. The movement "finale'" is an extension of the California stop, I like working on that "gear shifting".

You're like a race car, you had the throttle mashed, now you're on the brakes, but still moving, then the instant the last shot breaks, back on the gas!!!

I don't shoot on the move as much as I should, and it's something I will work on when I come back.

Shake & Bake baby!!! It's two verbs.... and it ryhmes!!! :P

I just saw it again last night. Oh the life lessons I learned.

Foremost on my mind is that IF I get married again I WILL have a Styx cover band and a nacho fountain.

I'm bored, wanna come over and play GI Joes?

Dude, I just hijacked my own thread....

um, back to topic, cool drilll....

The drill I like to do for shooting on the move is 3 targets (head only) about a yard between them. Shoot them on the move from 25 to 10 yards. You don't shoot too fast, but it sure hammers in what you need to do for an acceptable sight picture while shooting on the move.

Great Idea Jake.....gonna have to try that one.