Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Testing Of Attitudes And Styles

Jake Di Vita

I recently change my load for my open gun from ~168 to 174 PF and noticed something similar in my shooting. I like shooting with this type of aggressive attitude, I call it attack mode. In my mind I associate "relaxed" with being conservative and it brings uncertainty to my shooting ability. When I get aggressive, I am more confident if the shot is there or not. As a result, I took less extra shots at a recent steel match and no extra shots at uspsa match. I have to push my shooting a little bit, but at the same time I am being patient to make sure the shot is there.

If you look close, you can see varying degrees of aggressiveness and grip in this little video. (gun flip)

This was a reshoot (going through the match a second time for fun).

The first pass through the steel is kinda...lazy on the gun. The make-up shots got a little more focus. And, then the last two shots (on the paper)...the first there also has focus. The last shot likely does too, but there wasn't a need/desire to follow through real hard.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8...yners&hl=en

WOW! The difference in the way the gun reacted from shot to shot was amazing. The second to last shot, the gun was just flat and smooth. You can SEE the the grip and arms are much more stable, and the gun (and shot) reacted accordingly. I don't think one could verbalize this as well at that vid showed. Good stuff.

• 1 month later...

Yeah absolutely. I think the elbow up positioning of my weak arm and a more aggressive posture overall adds as much as 15% to how efficiently I control recoil. My experiment with this so far has yielded more consistency and less recovery time.

• 3 months later...
When I'm shooting I like to be

1) relaxed mentally - focused on the shooting at hand.

2) attentive visually - knowing what I want to see to make a shot and being patient enough to see it without dilly-dallying around and seeing too much

3) aggressive physically - snap my eyes where they need to go, drive the gun from target to target, and really MOVE from position to position.

I missed this reading it the first time though, I thought about what Aikidale posted the other day ( http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61709 )

Does that tie into when you say...

"Everything we do has an intellectual, physical and temperamental component and while we can focus our awareness on any one or two of these, being aware of all three and how they work in unison can lead to understanding and avoidance of those 'unexplainable' errors."

Edited by HoMiE