Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question Of Those Who Load For Usp/p2000...

LSP972

Working up a "blasting" (practice) load for a USPf and P2000 9mm.

Using Precision Delta 115 jacketed ball and 231, I started off at 3.5. That wasn't reliable in anything. 3.7 was iffy in a Glock 19, no joy in the HKs. 3.9 worked MOST of the time in the G19; numerous failures to eject in the Hks. 4.1 worked reliably in the Glock; same FTEs in the HKs.

Okay. I went up to 4.3, and STILL am getting an occasional failure to eject in the HKs. 4.5 is next, but my question is... have any of you noticed these HK pistols to be ammo-sensitive? Both run flawlessly with factory ball and hollow points. Conversely, my USP Compact .45 will run all day on 4.2 of WST under a 230gr ball bullet.

While I'm certainly not new to reloading, this IS my first foray into loading 9mm. I realize that using a heavier bullet will help, but I bought 10K of these 115s so I'm sorta stuck with them.

What's got me confused is the Lyman manual I'm using shows 4.5 of 231 to be a max load. Has product liability litigation made the table-writers back down considerably from common sense?

BTW, not interested in switching powder, either; I bought four pounds of 231, so I've basically painted myself into a corner... :rolleyes:

Any thoughts?

FWIW, I have found that Titegroup 4.1 for 115 FMJ and IMR 700x 3.2 for 147 FMJ work best for my 9mm. I shoot a G19, Springfield XD 9, and Tz75 9mm. My USP .45 fullsize loves Clays 3.8 and 230gr bullets. All soft loads, clean and never have problems cycling them through any of my pistols. I shoot 1100-1200 rounds a week.

-Chris