Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal 155 Large Pistol Magnum Primers

Nemo

Cliff tells me they Federal 155's should work the same as the regular 150 LP since the difference is not the hardness of the cup but the priming compound. Has anyone tried these with light action revos?

Cheers,

Nemo,

Check out this post in the tread I started about the 625-8 and How low I can go with non federal primers.

I hope they work, I got 10000 of them setting here, just got them from Wideners.

41mag

Apr 8 2007, 09:07 PM Post #12

Sees Target

Group: Classified

Member No.: 7534

OK, I'll go out on a limb here. I spent two hours at the range this morning fiddling with my mainspring. I have a 625 with Black Widow springs (?) and at six pounds double action it will reliably break Federal LP and LP Magnum primers. Turning the screw a little over 1/2 turn will increase the pull to 7lbs, and that would break the Winchester primers (and these are not new primers, they are at least two years old.) I have been told that the new WW primers will be softer, but I will believe that when I shoot them.

I have not bobbed the hammer, so I don't know how much effect that will have.

PAT

--------------------

Duc, Sequere, aut de via decede. (Lead, Follow, or get out of the way.)

Damnant quod non intelligunt. (They condemn what they do not understand.)

For those who shoot a revolver, competition has a flavor that the other divisions will never know.

I tried these last week in my 625 and had no problems whatsoever. I have not chronoed them yet, but shooting them in today's ICORE match I could not detect a noticeable change in point of impact. I got 15K from Widener's this past Friday.

See you in Tulsa.

PAT

Thanks guys! On my way back from South Carolina I stopped at BPS in Savannah and bought all their inventory of Federal LP Magnum, ALL 200 OF THEM! I'll try them this week and see how they react to the Randygun hammer nose.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a talk with customer service @ Federal (tech service). He told me the cups are the same hardness. The ignition compound is the difference. Have not tried them yet. The man I talked to is a handloader himself. Said teay should work ok but has no personal knowledge. Also said they had no idea when primers will be available to RETAIL for sale. All primeers being made cunnently are going to completed ammo and plants are running 24/7. This info is less than one week old. Wish there was better news. Also , he didn't know if fps would change by using mag primers. Also check chrono to be sure(duh).

Edited by granderojo

My experiance with Magnum primers of all brands is they burn a little hotter and longer. This usually causes a real good burn in non magnum loads, giving more pressures and higher velocities.

I strongly suggest backing the load down a few tenths and chronograph. ;)

Hopalong

My experiance with Magnum primers of all brands is they burn a little hotter and longer. This usually causes a real good burn in non magnum loads, giving more pressures and higher velocities.

I strongly suggest backing the load down a few tenths and chronograph. ;)

Hopalong

I will.

Gracias,

Bouncing this to the top for the New England revo shooters: If anyone needs Federal 150 LPP let me know, I am slightly over the storage limit and can sell a case of 5000 for $90

E MAIL Round_Gun_Shooter@comcast.net

We can arrange to meet up somewhere as I will not ship them. I will be at Pioneer in NH 05-06 and can bring them with me.

Regards,