Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi-Cap Mags...Legality (?)

VileBill

...I'm new to IPSC/USPSA shooting and I am now shooting Limited-10, but I know soon I'll want to shoot Limited/Open. My concern: owning, possessing, purchasing Hi-Cap mags. Living in California... 'nuff said!! Please put my worries to rest....!

It's still OK to own, possess, and compete with your pre-Federal-ban standard capacity magazines. It's not OK to buy and sell them. It's OK to replace or update components in your old mags. For example, if you have those old 126mm shorty mags you might want to get new 140mm tubes, but they'll also require new springs. You might also want to take advantage of improvements in basepads since 1993.

Technically it's OK to own all of the parts. However many companies sell the parts, but cannot by law sell the assembled magazine. So... you can buy the parts, but cannot assemble them. However there is really no way to know what was and was not purchased before the silly ban of 1994. There are no serial numbers or date codes on the magazines unless they are "Law Enforcement".  It is much the same way that a person can own machine gun parts, just not the completed gun. You my friend have enough problems as it is being as though your in California, and maybe they do track the magazine tubes there...