Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Can You Expect From A 625?

RogerT

Hi all revolveros.

A question came up on a swedish shooting forum about what precision can you expect from a 625. What is an average group size at 25 yards (six shots)?

Since I have little experience of Bullseye shooting with my 625 I'm searching for input from you all at Benos forum. I shoot only IPSC with my 625, using cheap 200 gn plated bullets at major velocity so I really dont have a clue.... :)

And while on the subject, what bullet gives the best performance out of the S&W standard barrel, led SWC, FMJ round nose or what?

Hi all revolveros.

A question came up on a swedish shooting forum about what precision can you expect from a 625. What is an average group size at 25 yards (six shots)?

Since I have little experience of Bullseye shooting with my 625 I'm searching for input from you all at Benos forum. I shoot only IPSC with my 625, using cheap 200 gn plated bullets at major velocity so I really dont have a clue.... :)

And while on the subject, what bullet gives the best performance out of the S&W standard barrel, led SWC, FMJ round nose or what?

I shot USRA last year with my 5" 625. It was good but could have been better if I had one of those hammer things on it for Single action.

I used a minor PF load with 230gr bullet and Titegroup powder. I am sure with a little more experimenting, I could have had a better load but I was only doing it for trigger time not really to compete. (I still won $20 on a postal match)

I have not shot lead in my 625 as I do not shoot lead in anything other than 22LR.

If you're going to load for Bullseye, you'll have to go down the whole "match bullet diameter to throat diameter" road.

I'd bet against a round-nose bullet, just because of the trick/hassle of keeping it straight when seated. You might experiment with wadcutters, or a soft-alloy semiwadcutter.

I'd say two inches at 25 yards would be a reasonable goal.

I have read articles on a gentleman by the name of Marty "Babe" Magnan. He was the first to break 2600 with a revolver and also fired several 2650's using revolvers only.

A search of the web should turn up some info on his guns and loads. IIRC he had to use a modified H&G mold and straight linotype to get acceptable 50 yd accy. out of the S&W 25.

Hope this helps

I would have to go look for my targets but I got some very respectable groups out of my 5" 1988 625 in my Ranson rest when I was working up loads long ago. I think a lot depends on the gun and the loads you feed it.

Neal in AZ