Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems With Springfield Metalform And Trojan 9mm

Gti18T

I've having some major problems with my springfield metalform mags. When i insert the mag it gets hung up and sometimes i have to slam it or actually bring it back out and insert it again. it seems like when i angle the mag on the way in sometimes it works out better, but is this normal? Also, sometimes my metalforms will not drop free. What's the deal with these things?

Dan

That's not much information to go on....color up the mag with Dykem or felt marker pen and insert/remove it a few times. Look for where the scratches are to try and get a feel for what the interference is...likely it's the mag catch/release that may need a few strokes with a stone.

Also, take off the slide and watch from the top while slowly inserting a mag.

/Bryan

Well it is indeed something with the mag release. You can see where it is supposed to go past the slide release bar on the other side. It is only catching on that one side. If i angle the mag to go in along the side where the mag release button is, it doesn't catch. if i do it on the opposite side, you can see where it gets hung up. Can i just take my mag release unit out and file whatever it is getting stuck on? I checked the grip screws and i can't even see them coming through. I inserted the mag a few times and it kept hitting that one spot and getting caught. I tried to see if i could get a file in there, but it is just angled too weird to get it to work. I am going to have to take the mag release out somehow. This is my 2nd 1911 and i've never gone further than taking the slide and grips off so i am not sure how to go about taking the mag release out. Thanks for the help guys.

Dan

FALTrojan022.jpg

Edited by Gti18T

Bryan, it worked like a charm. I popped it out and did some filing and then polished it back up and it works great. Thanks. If the few seconds that it took me to fidget with that are gone tomorrow and i shoot master class at the qualifier i'll thank you again.

Edited by Gti18T