Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loaded Shotshell Length?

Carbon

I'm heading to a match overseas this summer and I need to purchase shotgun ammo while there. I'm told that S & B is the most common brand but it's unavailable in my area.

Does anyone know if a S & B trap load works in a Winchester X-2?

Also how long are the loaded shells? I only have room for a 60mm shell in my belt.

Thanks

Carl

Wa State

Hi Carl

S&B special slug in 28g & 32g loads are 60mm long (unfired) & will fit in Choate ammo carriers nicely.

I dont have any S&B target loads right now so cant give you the length.

Where is the match ?

Neil

Finland,

My shell holders are a fixed 60mm. I do have a couple California Compworks that have a removeable spacer. That's what has me concerned. Are the European shell length different? My holders are not expandable for longer shells.

Carl

Carl, I had to remove the spacers from my CHOATE, NOT Cali Comp work, shell holders to accomidate the S&B slugs and even then it is a bit dragy ( I run a .050 spacer in the Choates to prevent Federal and Remington shotshells from turning side-ways and falling out of the 6 holder after I have grabbed 4 )

Are you going to Mesa?? I would be happy to get together with you and go over what you can expect over there! Look me up. Kurt Miller

Carl, I had to remove the spacers from my CHOATE, NOT Cali Comp work, shell holders to accomidate the S&B slugs and even then it is a bit dragy ( I run a .050 spacer in the Choates to prevent Federal and Remington shotshells from turning side-ways and falling out of the 6 holder after I have grabbed 4 )

Are you going to Mesa?? I would be happy to get together with you and go over what you can expect over there! Look me up. Kurt Miller

Hi Kurt

I have a choate carrier on my desk here & the 28g S&B slugs are loose & even rattle a bit. :blink:

Carl your in the best hands Kurt just cant keep away from Europe :P

See you in June amigo, by the way I picked up the M2 yesterday & off to the Range Saturday with it so ill be speaking Italian from now on :wub:

N

S&B has also Practical Sport line of birdshot and slugs which are intended specially for our game. They are shorter than regular ammo just about 53mm. Birdshot is with 3mm shot and 32g load and the slugs are 32g. Your best bet would be using these if X-2 can handle the short ones. I needed to modify my Gold to get it working with these.

I wouldn't use 24g S&B load in a match (not even sure about if it meets the PF factor) although S&B's Extra will cycle your X-2. Winchester Ranger is also a short cartridge (56mm) and it is available.

Couple of old pics here:

slugit_01.jpg

slugit_02.jpg

From left:

Buffalo Slug 63.5 mm

RIO Royal Slug 59.5 mm

S&B Special Sport 58.5 mm

Mirage Slug 58.0 mm

Geco Competition Slug 57.0 mm

PJ SK Yyper-Taktikaal 52.0 mm

I needed to modify my Gold to get it working with these.

I have been shooting my Gold for the last year & have tried many things to get it to run with slug but without sucess, I would be interested to know what you did to yours ?

N