Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help....what To Do With My Left Thumb?

Tolly

Okay guys, I seem to have a small problem that is really ticking me off :angry::angry: . About once in every 50 or so rounds fired I will somehow engage the slidestop when shooting my 1911s. When I grip the gun I rest my right thumb on the safety while placing my left thumb against the slidestop right where it goes through the frame, but I put very little pressure on it. It is more just pointing down range but barely brushing against the slidestop while it's there. What am I doing to cause the slidestop to engage?? For the life of me I can't figure it out. I mean, how can you engage the the slidestop from that position and not further back? Any help would be appreciated.

I got so tired of that I finally just had mine cut off.

Seriously, I point mine about ten degrees away and up from the frame to make sure it doesn't happen.

The thumb is not supposed to apply pressure to the frame, so aiming it away slightly won't hurt your grip.

LPatterson said...Then place your weak hand on the gun so that your thumb is even with the extended trigger fringer. This will put your thumb in front of the slide stop.
In front of the slide stop and resting on the frame or not resting on the frame??
benos saidIf, it's your thumb that's bumping the slide stop, then learning a new (proper) grip is the best solution. You don't want your support hand thumb to ever be anywhere near touching the slide stop (or slide or frame).

Do you recommend angling the support hand thumb in any particular direction, or does it not matter as long as it isn't touching the slide stop, frame, or slide? Thanks so much for the help guys. I am getting so frustrated :angry::angry: