Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'll Only Reload Fmj's For Now.

ruready

Am I wrong in deciding to reload FMJ's only. I know it is more expensive than say lead, plated, and coated but FMJ's are the only bullet type that will feed reliably on my 1911. I've been trying to make plated's and precision bullets feed reliably but I always get hung up with failed to go to battery. It always failed about 3/4 way in to battery. I played with a bunch of OAL's with no success. Could it be because the gun is still semi-new, less than 1000 rounds.

I ordered a bunch of 230 FMJ's zero bullets looking to copy factory ammo profiles. Hopefully, I'll get good success with this.

Besides cost, what are the disadvantage of just shooting jacketed bullets?

I had to load Precision coated bullets a little shorter (about 1.230") to get them to feed reliably in my 1911, for what that's worth. I liked those bullets, but I had to return to FMJs because the coated bullets caused real bad leading in my barrel. I think I've got a rough spot about mid-barrel. Never had any problems with plated or FMJs. This gun shoots the tightest groups with FMJs, so that's an added plus. It's more expensive, but not so much so that I've been motivated to see if my barrel can be fixed somehow. I occasionally pick up my .45 wheelgun and I shoot FMJs in it for ease of reload, so I'm buying those bullets anyway. I do shoot Precision coated bullets in my .40 though, with no problems.