Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag releases

gm iprod

Decided to completely strip and clean my favourite blasters. Big practice session last Sunday.

Completely dissassembles the Para Open NRA gun ( and 4 other handguns) and made sure everything perfect, finally finished this very, very late Sat. Put the pistols for the next day in the range bag and went to bed. Got up 6.oo am and off to range.

Get to range and start the shooting. Finally get round to the Para and put in first mag, this falls to floor instantly. I think 'you silly sod you must push in real hard'. So I do with the next mag. SAME. Look disparingly at pistol.

NO MAG BUTTON.

What happened next was I look around to see if anyone else on range, luckily NO.

Pull P13 out of range bag and BORROW mag release. Finish up go home swap everything back.

SO glad of the following.

1. Spare mag release.

2. It did not happen at a match

3. No one around.

Proves that you can do dumb things when really tired. Never do that again, I hope, pray, beg, implore.

Here's one that also happened to me in practice, thankfully not a match (always check your equipment if you've made a change!)

I put on a new mag release button, and did lots of dry firing, etc, really liked the big button, easy to hit, smokin' fast!

Went to the range to shoot, everything worked great unitl I went to weak hand shooting (left for me) and POW, oops the mag hit the ground. Hmmm. Reinsert, POW, mag hit the ground. Repeat. You get the idea -

My new mag button was to big for my left handed grip, it dropped the mags every time.

I had a match the next day that had some weak handed shooting on the classifer, and I had ALMOST not shot left handed, I did as an after thought in practice. Lesson Learned.   ;)

Did something similar in a match about 3 years ago, so the last effort should not have happened.

When I had been shooting my NRA stock Colt 38Super for ages, went to a club IPSC match and pulled the p13 out for a change. My grip position was so diferent for the colt that when I grabbed the para real tight the extended mag release was in the way. OUT it came, 4 times. Finally got the hang of it on the fifth stage.

But you get out of your comfort zone and the soggy bit between the ears got all fuzzy.