Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oal Concerns

thunderstick

I am just starting to run a G34 in production with a 147 gr RN Berry Bullets and have been doing some research on loads. A couple of the popular ones seem to be Clays @ 3.0 gr and Title group @ 3.3 gr. The question/concern I have is with OAL. The listed length for the loads is around 1.1 and that seems really short; almost like you are tamping the powder down with the bullet. Should this bother me? My history is with 45 acp loads and with the 45 is seems like you have a lot of empty case which doesn't appear try with the 9.

I am just starting to run a G34 in production with a 147 gr RN Berry Bullets and have been doing some research on loads. A couple of the popular ones seem to be Clays @ 3.0 gr and Title group @ 3.3 gr. The question/concern I have is with OAL. The listed length for the loads is around 1.1 and that seems really short; almost like you are tamping the powder down with the bullet. Should this bother me? My history is with 45 acp loads and with the 45 is seems like you have a lot of empty case which doesn't appear try with the 9.

Short answer, OAL in Glock has to do with the longest OAL the mags with except. I used 147 Berry with titegroup with a G17 and really liked it. Can not remember the exact load specs though.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of you know Rudy Waldinger - especially if you are a revolver guy.

But, did you know that Rudy was a member of Team Glock - Austria? He once told me (paraphrased): "the Glock 9mm prefers longer-loaded ammo for better feeding."

The listed OAL in most manuals is actually the MINIMUM SAFE OAL and not really the "recommended" OAL that it is taken as. I suggest 1.140 to 1.155"

FWIW,

In my G34 running a KKM match barrel... my load is 125gr Zero JHP @ 1.110"

I did the sharpie test using dummie rounds and this particular bullet in the KKM began engaging the rifling @ 1.125 and @ 1.135 it was very difficult to cycle the slide to eject the round because it was too long. 1.110" is what the Zero Company loads their factory 125gr JHP ammo to.

Okie