Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pressing Forward

Putty

I get these little "aha's" as I blindly fire thousands of rounds into snow encrusted hillsides.

I was watching alot of the FLA videos that Sharyn so kindly graced us with and started thinking about the things said to me by Manny Bragg, Scott Springer, Rob Leatham, and I noticed that when I stand ready to draw I am not physically "pressed forward" to shoot, and that position follows me through to shooting a more upright, upper body type of position. So I walked outside and tried getting ready to shoot in the position I want to be in while shooting and lo and behold my .15 two shot splits were hitting in the A zone at 18 yds, whereas before I had some major gun dive on the second shot and had a hard time tracking that second shot that I could not call. I was lucky enough to shoot in the super squad at area 1 last year (or unlucky) and was able to watch Dave Sevigny and Scott move through the courses pressed forward, down a little lower in stance and hitting those A's at high speed. Angus Hobdell is another that seems to really press his upper body, mainly shoulders, through all the shooting positions.

Am I thinking in a void? Everyone weigh in and help validate this frustrated shooter with your experience(s).

Burkett calls it "Positive Forward Tension" (IIRC)....

If you don't put yourself in that position at the beginning of the stage, you have to get there, and that takes time. So, you see the guys you mentioned already in that position so that all they have to move is the arms to be up and shooting from the draw....

You want your CG out over the balls of your feet - the "forward press" is about the only way to get there (and that also requires bending your knees slightly, etc)....

So, you're not nuts :) Just do it!