Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No. 7.5 Shot Sufficient To Take Down Poppers

surfmaster

Here’s a post that I copied and pasted from the Saiga forum. Someone chrono’d slugs out of a single bbl gun as they cut it down.

It gives some indication, tho the load is not birdshot.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Here's the breakdown based on a single shot break open shotgun.

BBL. Length Aguila Win 3"(1 oz.) Rem 2 3/4" (1 oz.)

31" 1022 1725 1557

25" 1137 1685 1498

19" 820 1542 1411

13" 1139 1433 1324

7" 1024 1134 1131

I know the numbers look screwy, but that's what they were. I'm guessing QA/QC is to blame for the fluxuation.

Caspian

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

As a reloader I use 16.5 gr. of red dot w/ 7/8oz. of 7 1/2 shot . There are about 300 pellets. or 18gr. of red dot w/ 1oz. shot #4 . In this load there are about 135 pellets. My own tests results in this area are, both loads are good, but if you want knock down power @ 30 yards. Sneak in that #4, unless there are a lot of clays. :D

Please disregard previous post.

The effective rule in 3gunning seems to be: if you hit steel and it fails to fall because its set too heavy (even for designated Major ammo) - tough luck. Use stronger ammo next time. Anyone want to buy a 20 gauge converted Saiga w/ 2 of the 10 round mags & 5 smaller mags?

Will be switching back to the Super X-2 and buying high brass #6s & buckshot for steel.

The effective rule in 3gunning seems to be: if you hit steel and it fails to fall because its set too heavy (even for designated Major ammo) - tough luck. Use stronger ammo next time
Carlos, maybe in IMG matches, but that is NOT the way it goes, or is supposed to at a USPSA rules match. If a USPSA rules match says that, they are not using USPSA rules!