Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plan Your Stage, Work Your Plan

BillTX

(OK, so that's not exactly it)

Anyway, I think (God, I hope!) I have had this driven home for the final time.

Last Sunday we were to start off with an oldie I had read about, "El Presidente'." Simple, 6 rounds, reload, 6 rounds.

I figure that's good, my mags hold 10, so I prep 2 mags with 6 rounds each and prepare to wait my turn. And wait... and wait.

And while I'm waiting, a bad thing happened. I had An Idea. I figure, "if I load 7 in the first mag, I won't have to bother with a locked slide!" Impressed by my devastating insight, I do just that.

My turn comes up, got the horn, draw, launch 6 downrange, reload, send 6 more down.

Great! Time for "Unload-Show Clear-Hammer Down-Holster," only I, knowing I only had 6 rounds in the mag, and nervous from the first stage of the day, do it "Unload-Hammer Down-BANG!" DQ.

Thank God for good muzzle discipline!

Bill

Bill.... you'd do well to establish a routine of always dropping the mag, then racking the slide when unloading... ;) Doesn't matter how many rounds you load in what mags, that way - you'll always be clear... ;)

That said... I've done that very thing - luckily, not in a match :D

Glad you have good muzzle control!!! What would you have done if you had a jam after 3 rounds and had to rack the slide. I would recommend the only mag to take a round out of is the one you are using for the reload and only because it is easier to insert. I also never come to the line with only the mags I need. What if you, god forbid, goof up a reload and drop the mag? Plan for the unexpected!!!!