Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 223 Sizing Die For A 550

Adam B

I have Dillon steel dies that I currently am using and it is obvious that they don't size the entire length of the cartridge. Is there another brand that will size the entire length or should I take my die to the lathe or grinder? If I do how much should I take off the die?

I let my Dillon size dies contact the shell plate just like I have always done with any non-carbide die from any manufacturer on any press.

I have always set my size dies to hit the shell plate and cam-over some when sizing rifle brass on my Dillon, or on my Rockchucker.

Sizing the entire length of the case is not that important as long as the case is reduced to under the chamber size where it is needed. The base of the case is not where the case expands unless you have issues with pressure, or excessive chamber size at the rear.

This is a non-issue IMHO. As long as you achieve the correct shoulder setback for YOUR rifles chamber and the rounds pass an ammo gauge that matches your chamber, you are good to go.

Back when I first started re-loading .223 on a Rockchucker with RCBS dies (mid eighties), I learned that size dies typically needed a little cam-over to get the proper setback, so I didn't worry too much when the Dillon .223 size die required this on my 550 to get the right amount of shoulder setback.

NEVER do this with a carbide die though, it will crack on ya'.