Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Seating Variations On New Press, Help

First I want to say WOW this press was shipped out to me same week. Ok its a new 650 and I can't get the seating depth to be consistant. The brass is all winchester and the depth varies from 1.249-1.254 seems way excessive to me. I'm using a redding comp die and on my rock chucker the seating depth only varies from 1.249-1.250 with the same brass bullet and crimp. The powder drop is disabbled while I figure out what the problem is. The shell plate is also tight. Are all progressive pressive this sloppy???

-William

I'm using a Redding comp die and I have not had any problems with that die and these swc on my single stage press only on the 650

Yeah, I understand what you meant, what I was trying to say is that if you're using the Dillon seating die on your progressive Dillon press there's 2 ends to the seating stem and you need to use the right one for the style of bullet you're seating. My .40 seating stem came from Dillon with the SWC end pointing down, I had to flip it for RN and FP bullets.

If you flip the seating stem and still have the trouble, there could be another cause. I use a Redding seating die on my 650 for convenience but the Dillon seater was consistent within .003 on average.

As Merlin stated eariler adjust with the shellplate full. Also how tight the shell plate is makes a diffrence. Get it as tight as you can and still advance it with the cam, that will take some of the rock out of it. And really .005 varience is pretty good for a action pistol load on a progressive press. You are close to ready to go.--------Larry