Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness And Major 9mm

get2now

Does anyone have experience with shooting major 9mm loads out of an EAA Witness? Years ago I shot one with 9 x 21 at a 180 to 185 power factor but even then I ended up with cracked barrels, slides and a frame. I didn't have too many problems when I was loading with 147 grain bullets but when I started going to lighter bullets that's when things really started happening.

My 1911 type open gun is broken so I thought I might try this one for open while I'm waiting for it to be fixed.

I don't want to break this one too though.

Any bits of wisdom?

Thanks,

Gary

Gary,

You shouldn't have any problems as long as the barrel is fitted properly. The biggest problem I ever saw was improper timing and too much clearance between the slide stop pin and the cut in the lower lug, and too much clearance between the barrel and frame pads.

I first started drooling over the CZ design in 1987, you could just hear it saying "make me major!" Never built that gun, but I did build my first P9 in 1990. I ran the P9/EAA's until 2002. I broke one of the cast Springfield slide stop pins, before Huening released the A6 pins (which I believe that you can still get through EGW). In 1994, I broke an extractor due to no flash hole in the brass. In 1999, I broke the lower lug on my 38 Super (didn't follow my own advice), I was into big of a rush to finish the gun before a match the year before. This pistol ran 50K before it broke.

In the beginning, I ran 145gr LRN and later 135gr FMJ. The 38 super ran a 124's.

Kenny (I think I still own 6) B.

That Eric guy seems to do ok, but who knows, he may have a barrel of 'em and just swaps 'em out every week.. ;)

I thought he was using the 38 super. I don't know if that's the same as the shorter 9mm frame though.

If I can run this gun safely then I'll give it a try. Otherwise I'll just stick to production or single stack until the other one is fixed.

Thanks,

Gary

On the one hand, Eric does shoot only rimless .38 super through a large frame gun.

On the other hand, there were TONS of P-9s (small frame tanfoglios) that were built as open guns in either 9x19 or later converted to 9x21 - but still running at 9x19 OAL - and those were shot constantly using 175+ PF ammo!! The gun can certainly take it though you want to get the EGW slide stop for it and heed the advice above re fitting. Or just send it to EGW.

On the one hand, Eric does shoot only rimless .38 super through a large frame gun.

On the other hand, there were TONS of P-9s (small frame tanfoglios) that were built as open guns in either 9x19 or later converted to 9x21 - but still running at 9x19 OAL - and those were shot constantly using 175+ PF ammo!! The gun can certainly take it though you want to get the EGW slide stop for it and heed the advice above re fitting. Or just send it to EGW.

This is an EAA with an original Springfield P9 FACTORY Comp upper. I'm assuming it was originally properly fitted because of that. Its also been shot a few years just as a 9mm. I had my gunsmith make a slide stop out of drill rod when I was shooting 9x21. It's still hangin in there.

Thanks,

Gary

I had 3 p9's.....Two built by "Don" from Arizona.........I had so many extra parts to keep the guns going it was nuts.......My honest answer is a reluctant yes, but for how long.....

I'm thinking Eric has multiple guns to shoot and @!^*loads of parts to keep them going too.

Joe

Edited by ipscjoe