Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coated Lead Vs. Lubed Lead Buillets And Extractor Crud Buildup

revchuck

Guys - I shot a local USPSA match last weekend with my CZ-75B and had two jams - I didn't look, just cleared them and kept going. They were the first jams in several thousand rounds. I finally broke down and pulled the extractor when I cleaned it and boy, howdy, was it funky! :wacko: It took several swipes with a small screwdriver to get the lube and etc. buildup out. I also cleaned my Beretta 92, which up until now didn't like cast bullets, and pulled its extractor for the first time (about 4k rounds through it); it was dirty, but not as nasty as the CZ.

I've just started playing with Precision coated bullets in my .40 and my 9x19s. Should I expect less extractor crud from them than from lubed bullets?

TIA!

Yes, the moly coating on Precision Bullets is like a plastic coating. After reloading couple thousand rounds I don't have any of the coatings on my fingers. It's a good coating.

Also, order a +10% Wolff extractor spring. This particular spring is weak in most CZs.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, the moly coating on Precision Bullets is like a plastic coating. After reloading couple thousand rounds I don't have any of the coatings on my fingers. It's a good coating.

Also, order a +10% Wolff extractor spring. This particular spring is weak in most CZs.

Masterblasters are good about this too. The stuff doesn't rub off.

Joe

... also consider Bear Creeks as another contender along with Masterblasters and Precisions... same type of moly coating... works well, fine sooty residue wipes/scrubs off easily and does not interfere with extractor function IME.