Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 22 Major Load Suggestions

AustinMike

Question for the few that shoot or have shot a Glock 22 at major - what are your favorite loads? I haven't found a load that I can say I truly like yet and searching hasn't yielded many results, since most people shoot a Glock 35. I use a 1.135" OAL. Loads that make major for me are 4.4gr. of Titegroup with 185gr. Precision moly bullet (OK, but smokey and dirty), 5.5gr. of Power Pistol with same bullet (little more recoil than TG) and 6.2gr. of Power Pistol with 180gr. Precision Delta FMJ (stout recoil.) I tried 4.7gr. of TG with the Precision Deltas, but it doesn't make major and I don't want to push it. I think I'll probably end up staying with the moly bullets since they take considerably less powder to get up to speed. I'm considering trying 200gr. molys for comparison. I'm using a KKM barrel. I did pick up some N320 the other day to throw into the mix.

I'd like to see what loads others are using lately for the Glock 22 only, please. Long loads in S_I's don't help and I've found plenty of data on the Glock 35 that doesn't make major in my gun. ;) I understand that there will be differences between factory and aftermarket barrels.

Mucho appreciated,

Mike

Do you have a chrono? It's tough to follow someone elses load, apply it to your gun, and guess if you're making major.

I think you're on the right track, I'd stick with Titegroup. When you say it's dirty, do you mean unburned powder or the really fine dusty filth. The fine dusty filth won't jam your gun or cause issues, it's just the way TG burns. I only have a small amount of smoke from my TG load.

You'll get better velocities from the moly (or lead) bullets than jacketed for the same powder charge.

Do you have a chrono? It's tough to follow someone elses load, apply it to your gun, and guess if you're making major.

Yup! I will check all loads in my gun, of course. My rationale in seeking out loads from other G22 shooters is that they should be more in the ballpark than a G35 or other longer barreled gun.

I think you're on the right track, I'd stick with Titegroup. When you say it's dirty, do you mean unburned powder or the really fine dusty filth. The fine dusty filth won't jam your gun or cause issues, it's just the way TG burns. I only have a small amount of smoke from my TG load.

A fair amount of smoke and it seems to contribute to more of the black coating from the Precision moly bullets getting left in the barrel. Not a problem other than taking a little longer to clean, as far as I can tell. The soot doesn't bother me.

You'll get better velocities from the moly (or lead) bullets than jacketed for the same powder charge.

That's certainly what I'm seeing. Takes considerably less powder to get the same velocity.

I'm just curious what other people are running in this gun. There may be other combinations that work well that haven't occured to me to try. I'm also wondering if anyone has played with 200gr. bullets in this gun. Mainly, I'd like to get muzzle flip under control a bit more. I'm planning to shoot Limited for the first time at a big match (Double Tap) and can use all the help I can get. ;)

I also just popped in a Wolff steel guide rod and 15# spring, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. From what I've read, this may help with some of the flip.

Edited by AustinMike

ALL of my short 40 loads are shot in a G22.

Power Pistol is the safest route you can take from the testing I have done, you have to get REALLY silly or careless for Power Pistol to bite back. Felt recoil is strong to me too, it isn't just you. That said, Power Pistol is one of my favorite 40 powders for short loads. The timer tells me the stout recoil feel really doesn't affect my shooting.

N320 is about as fast as I would try in a short 40 major load. I haven't tried it, but I would.

TG just plain sucks, but in short 40 loads it works pretty well. 4.7 with a 180 in a short load is a LOT of TG, and TG won't give you much if any warning before it bites.

Universal Clays is another one to try, lots cleaner than TG but just a little more felt recoil. I have many pounds of UC on hand from the 20 guage habit I used to have, and almost all of my full power short 40 loads for the last couple years have been loaded with it.

Winchester Super Field is another one to try, pretty much identical in feel to me when compared to Universal or Unique. WSF has shown really strong accuracy advantages for me in my guns, I don't know what it is but it shoots GREAT.

Unique works great in so many loadings it is just silly. Short 40 with lead (moly) at major is just another place where it will work great. I keep a BIG jug on hand for the times when other powders aren't working well, Unique you can count on. It will work every time. It might be a littly dirty but a Glock won't care. It isn't the hot ticket for anything it seems anymore, but you can count on it.

Stop cleaning your barrels and shoot, unless they lead enough to easily see just keep shooting it. It will shoot cleaner each time out, last longer and be predictibly more accurate.

TG just plain sucks

Unique you can count on

We are two sides of the same coin, I love TG and hate Unique... :D

I will agree that a .40 short load based on TG is approaching the land of bad things. You may have best luck from 200gr bullets and TG but I currently use 185gr in a G35. Universal may be a good choice too.

Universal Clays is another one to try, lots cleaner than TG but just a little more felt recoil. I have many pounds of UC on hand from the 20 guage habit I used to have, and almost all of my full power short 40 loads for the last couple years have been loaded with it.

UC looks to be real close to PP on the burn charts I've seen (hard to go by those though.) What's your favorite G22 recipe with UC?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, start at 5.3 and chrono with a 180 fmj/tmj, depending on bullet and gun and all of that it should be close. I shoot a LOT at 5.7 with a 180 FMJ and 1.135", it makes about 195 pf but feels just like the premium 180 grain JHP defensive type loads. If your 180 is a JHP drop it a tenth or so and go from there. Universal feels softer to me than Power Pistol, and just a touch sharper than WSF and a little sharper than TG. Please be aware that you should NOT push Universal and you must prevent setback, it is every bit as nasty as Clays when it hits the point where it does not want to cooperate anymore. TG is bad in this regard too. Universal will probably be close to 200 pf with a 180 when it gets nasty, TG will be around 185 pf when it gets nasty.

EDIT: I shot some N340 short loads that a friend loads, they felt as soft as my long loaded 180's with Clays in my STI. I haven't loaded N340, but Mike's loads really felt good shooting them. IIRC he was a bit above 5 grains.

Edited by HSMITH

hell, i was almost at the old power factor with precision delta 180 FMJ bullets, 1.135 oal, Federal 200 primers and titegroup at 4.3 grains.

This is in a Glock 22 with a KKM match barrel..60k rounds through it.

i ended up with less than four grains TG and a 185 precision at 1.135 and a fed 100 primer for my fav load.. works, shot pretty clean and was cheap. No signs of over pressure either.

Hope this helps

harmon

Wow, either you have a fast barrel or I've got a slow one, Harmon! 4.7gr of Titegroup with the 180 PD is only about 163PF in my gun. The Precision coated bullets scoot out the barrel a lot faster, so I'll probably end up staying with them. Just not sure on the powder yet.

• 2 months later...

Just worked on some more load development for my son's G22 w/ KKM barrel. Here are our latest results.

Masterblaster 180 grain moly-coated

Winchester cases

4.6 grains WW 231

COAL 1.135

Crimp 0.420

mean velocity: 944.13

SD velocity: 14.65

ES velocity: 48.8

mean PF: 169.9

temp: 73 F

Precision Delta 180 FMJ

Winchester cases

4.6 grains Titegroup

COAL 1.135

Crimp 0.420

mean velocity: 944.475

SD velocity: 14.81

ES velocity: 37.2

mean PF: 170.01

temp: 71 F

Source info that I used for load development: Hodgdon data website

YMMV, these are safe in MY guns but may not be in yours... as always, start low and work up slow... exercise extreme caution!