Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions Reguarding Clays

Gti18T

Today i went out and shot the 4.3 of clays w/ Berrys 230 FMJ out of my new spartan. It feels like there is too much recoil push to the gun. There isn't a whole lot of muzzle flip but i could feel the webbing between my thumb and index finger was taking alot of the push.

Could i fix this by shooting a 200 grain bullet instead and maybe switching to a different powder?

Does the clays burn slower and therefor have more push to it than snap? I need to swtich from clays too, i can't for the life of me get that stuff to meter well. Some are average throws of like 4.2 and others are like 3.9, 4.4 and so on. Called dillon and they told me it was because the powder is like flakes.

Thanks

Dan

I'm using to shooting 147gr w/ 3.2 grains AA2 out of my 9mm and i think i'm still in recoil shock changing over to shooting a .45.

Dan, please dont take this the wrong way..... :):):);)

Go buy a box of Win White box 230fmj and shoot it side by side with your load.......This will put it in perspective for you.... ;)

Barring chrono results, other than VV310, you have the softest load available for .45 Ipsc/USPSA major. You may be able to go down to around 4.0gr of CLAYS.

Now, thanks for qualifying that you have been shooting a soft 9x19 load. Yes, it probably feels harsh compared to that, but trust me, it is not....Try a 14lb recoil spring in your Spartan and you should be good to go.....

Good luck,

DougC

Doug, i assumed i was just going to have to stop whining and shoot it. Ha.

Another question though...You mentioned the VV310... Do you think it will meter better/more consistant than clays w/ my xl650? I'm having just a hell of a time w/ that clays to get consistant throws.

Thanks i appreciate it.

Dan

Yes, VV310 will meter better, but you dont need to worry about it. Get into a predictable rhythm with the machine and it should within .01grain. Try putting a strip of a dryer sheet inside the powder measure up towards the top to get rid of any static cling as well.

FWIW I load CLAYS with lead, and VV310 with jacketed bullets.....

DougC

That's a huge difference, to the point of being kinda dangerous. Are you sure you're getting a half grain variance??? Clays is fluffy and N310 will perform similar and meter better, but if you're getting that much difference I'd be looking at factors other than just the powder. I seem to stay within .1 variance on random weighings and it's pretty consistent over the chrono. I liked N310 it was maybe a tad more consistent over the chrono, but I'm too cheap to buy it (cuts into my import beer budget.) :lol: Either of the two with a 230 grain bullet is about as soft as it gets in .45.

+1 on Doug's recommendation to get into a good rhythm. It will help minimize any inconsistency. A 0.5 variance is very high. I agree with Austin Mike that you should look for another cause as well.

Make sure to keep the powder tube at least half full.

I use 4.0 grains of Clays with a 230 gr. Zero FMJ and 1.245 OAL. It chrono's right at 169-172 PF out of my two 5" 1911's. A 4.3 grain load seems pretty high.

Hodgdon lists 4.0 gr. of Clays as a maximum load with the 230 gr. jacketed bullet.

Today i went out and shot the 4.3 of clays w/ Berrys 230 FMJ out of my new spartan. It feels like there is too much recoil push to the gun. There isn't a whole lot of muzzle flip but i could feel the webbing between my thumb and index finger was taking alot of the push.

Could i fix this by shooting a 200 grain bullet instead and maybe switching to a different powder?

Does the clays burn slower and therefor have more push to it than snap? I need to swtich from clays too, i can't for the life of me get that stuff to meter well. Some are average throws of like 4.2 and others are like 3.9, 4.4 and so on. Called dillon and they told me it was because the powder is like flakes.

Thanks

Dan

I'm using to shooting 147gr w/ 3.2 grains AA2 out of my 9mm and i think i'm still in recoil shock changing over to shooting a .45.