Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Time Trap Shooting

David Benzick

Wednesday we were planning to practice pistol and 3-Gun shotgun after work but couldn't get on the action range.  Sue and I did some pistol work at the public 25 yard line and then I decided I wanted to use some of those nice 12ga reloads I'd brought.  We each shot two rounds of trap from the 16 yard line and had a heck of a time.  I shot a 21 and a 25 and Sue shot a 16 and then a 19 with the Browning Gold/Briley 3-gun blaster.

We'll be going back for more and plan to try shooting from the port arms position. :)

Way to go.  now that you have conquered trap, try Sporting Clays.  Since Clays came to America, there have been fewer than 15 straights in competition.

Trap and skeet are fun and if you are a streak shooter,  then you can run up some impressive numbers.  I shot both games in the 60's and 70's and had some really long runs, but my high at Clays is 91, and was exstatic.  I generally shoot in the mid 80's, but unless I have a lights out day, generally don't even win my class, much less HOA.  so many more angles, different speeds and some truly long shots.  Great games all...have fun.  Just watch out, easy to get hooked, just like pistols.

I think part of my success was that I had no expectations.  I just stood there an shot 'em as I saw 'em.  Next time I'll probably "try" to shoot well and unhinge myself.

The funny thing is, the clay target flippers you see at some three gun matches seem to give me fits more often than not.

Ever shoot stick birds, where a thrower is mounted on a 6 foot fiberglass rod and a guy throws it.  I have seen and shot against a similar situation.  the guy could throw a bird 120 yds at about 60mph.  If you don't get it quickly, you need big bullets and lots of choke.