Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooter Grrl

Shooter Grrl

• 1 month later...

I'm still having moments of brilliance, ala my stage win last year at the Nationals. But dammit - there's bigger baggers than me out there! (see Area 6 Stage 11 and Stage 5)

Turtle had a problem on Stage 1... I can NOT figure out how it took me 30 seconds to run that stage... was I victim of the clock as well? How would I know? 30 seconds USED to be normal?!?!?! I should have insisted right then and there that that was not the right time - but trust is still a big issue with me.

I'm facing a month at home alone while my husband travels - will I be able to practice, stay focused and go shooting without my best friend and shooting partner?!?!

I think better when I write it down :) I'm open to comments and help with these "little" issues!

Kath,

The key to maintaining a practice schedule is identifying significant pay value to the practice schedule.

I will dry fire x minutes a day and get to the range 3 times a week because I want to be a better shooter. I want to be a better shooter because ________________________________________________.

I enjoy the feeling of being a better shooter because ____________.

The blanks need to be filled in to identify why it's important to you. It may take some soul searching. Don't be afraid to admit the fact that you simply want more recognition from your peers. That's a valid reason if it's true.

The other thing you can do is to simply decide to do it. (thanks to Flex for simplifiyng this angle)

I do know that's it's VERY tough for a goal to fail if it represents significant pay value.

Likewise, it's almost impossible for a goal to succeed if the results don't mean a lot to you.

Why do you want to be a better shooter?

SA

• 3 weeks later...

2 full days of shooting. Yesterday was awesome :cheers: I felt GREAT. Only 1 stupid error, and I can live with one. So today, I *EXPECTED* to perform the same. But no - a minimum of 1 miss on every stage, dumb errors, slow times (or too fast!)

If I truly expected to repeat, why didn't I?

Kath,

You shot great on day one because you were in the right mindset to do so.

You may have shot poorly on day 2 because you expected to, failing to duplicate the same mindset.

Self image is only one component of expecting to shoot well.

Can you identify anything that was different about day 2?

For example...a guy enters a hot dog eating contest and trains by eating 30 hot dogs a day for a month. He wins the contest and sets a new record.

Next year, he enters the same contest and expects to do well. He believes it so strongly that he only eats 10 hot dogs a day in preparation. He bottoms out at 12 dogs, loses and pukes his guts out.

Yes, he expected to win, but he didn't have the same mindset he did when he won.

You gotta back up your belief with a little more than bullshit.

I bet if you examine every component of the two days you'll find a difference.

I did some of my worst match shooting when I was training the hardest...and the converse has been true, but somewhat less true as well.

the tricky thing about the mental game is that it can side away at any time due to ego. And that's tricky, because a strong ego is part of it.

Take Micah for instance, he has made great strides in technique and mental game, but he still programmed speed on a speed shoot, in violation of everything he knows to be true.

Sometimes when we have success, we take the credit as CEO but forget to thank the janitor...

And to tie it all together, it's the janitor that tidies up the hot dog puke. :)

SA

So maybe I should look at the results before I start beating the crap outta myself?!?! But is it really a win if I don't feel like I did my best? Of course, that is part of the game, on any given day, it's who can pull it together *better* :)

Dave comes home Saturday - wooohooooo /

I called Calamity Jane after this match and we figured out that the reason I didn't like my performance is because I was pushed out of my comfort zone. (Clearly from the results :) But the lesson here is that I know now what "too fast" feels like. But now that I've seen the results, is "too fast" necessarily bad? Hmmmmm - sometimes I really hate this headgame stuff. Why can't I be TGO and just go shoot and win?

• 2 weeks later...

I was High Lady Open at the Indiana State, but I'm way more proud of the fact that I shot a 74% and was 20th overall. I kept my head together - planned the stages right, shot them as I planned them. The 2 boo-boos were bad, but outta my control. A jam on a re-shoot turned an 18 second run into a 23 second run - at 18 secs I was kicking boy butt :cheers: The other one was a miss that wasn't. 2 of us in the squad were stupid enough to shoot perfect doubles (seriously!) I know my shot was there - others concurred that they saw 2 grease rings - we just couldn't convince any match official of it (ARGH!)

I'm ready - bring on the Nats!

(My next post will be after shooting the first day - kinda busy until then (BLEH!)