Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gun for shooting steel

dave pasos

Dave.

I use an STI built by  Johnny Lim in .38 super comp. It is a bushing barreled gun with an aluminum comp . the slide is lightened and i am using a C-more. This gun is super light and i shoot about 110 pf in steel challenge. People who shoot it are usually surprised at how light it is. It recoils a bit more than you might think since it is so light , very fast pointing though which i guess is what you need for SC.

Dave,

If you are thinking 9mm then you are in the right direction. pf for challenge is sub minor. You are looking for accuracy with longest shot at < 50 yds. Load needs to be a very light bullet like a 115 @ 1000 fps or so.

For the gun recomendation, look at a commander lenght slide with a 2 port cone  comp using a govt lenght barrel.

Since capacity is a non issue, if you don miss, a single stack is OK. But if you already have a S_I gun, have a new top end fit and you can use the same lower.

Short, light and quick.

Dave,

The aluminum comp holds up fine as long as you don't shoot anything too hot through it. 9mm  is a good idea if you get the correct breechface, i've been told that if you use a .38 super slide for 9mm that the breechface is too big and because the 9 is a shorter bullet oal, you get feeding problems , something about the bullet going in crooked.  An sv slide with the interchangeable breechface might be the hot thing.

James Ong

Dave,

A friend of mine did just that. He rebarreled his super with a 9mm thinking that 9 major might be approved or that he would shoot minor. He had feeding problems with the shorter 9mm bullet. I am told that it is very difficult to get a true 9mm slide . The reason the slides we have work with the rimless supers is that the bullet is long enough to work.

James Ong

Dave,

There is not enough difference in the 2. Any "problems" are more likely due to other factors like spring weight, feed ramp angle, OAL, etc.

You might want to ask STI if they ship the same slide for a 38super and 9mm. I think the answer will be they are the same but you might want to ask.

I was going to have a super changed to 9mm and my gunsmith did not say a thing about the breechface being an issue. (I changed my mind since then.)

Probably real sweet.  I first shot SC with a SS Springfield in 9mm that had been lightened a lot.

The idea is to be able to move from plate to plate quickly. A long gun with weight out front doesn't help to do this.

Scope mount is a frame mount using an ADCO tube scope. Check out http://www.gramseng.com for a really nice one. The tube is the best hot ticket for steel. Bevin's mount puts it as close to slide as possible.