Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems With Airport

I downloaded a new security update on my IBook G4 last night and then was asked to restart the machine. After the restart, I can connect to my wireless network (Airport), but when I launch Firefox and Thunderbird, they won't connect to the internet. But, what seems odd to me is that I'm running my work laptop (IBM X30) via a Cisco Systems card (even as I type this) and I have no issues at all connect - even though our VPN.

Any ideas?

I installed the security update and had no problems myself. I did hear of someone else that experienced the same issue that you are having and solved it by connecting the Mac directly to the modem's Ethernet cable, then switching it back to the AirPort.

Dave, run a permission repair, do a restart. then in the Airport icon in the menu bar, turn airport off, then back on and check to make sure you are actually seeing your base station name, not a neoighbors.

If that doesn't do it, open System Preferences and in the Networking pane, look to see if you are actually getting a green indicator for the Airport Network port and if you are being given an IP number (probably in the 10.0.0.x range).

If you are using an Apple base station, re-powering it can solve the issue too.

Let me know your result.