Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Edge 40 Mag Follower

mcflyiup

Components: STI Mag Tube, Grams Spring & Follower, Dawson Basepad. Feed Lips set at .395. Bullet OAL 1.190

The follower wants to come out of the tube in the back right corner looking at the mag as if it would be in the gun. The bullets also like to nose dive into the feed ramp if you hand cycle the slide slowly. Any help would be appreciated.

The Dawson competition followers with ISMI springs work better in my Edge. I had problems with the Grams followers. The Dawson followers require a little filing on the sides, but are super sturdy & reliable, for me. Benny Hill did mine, initially, and I've had zero mag problems since. Either Dawson or Grams basepads will work just fine.

Larry

What causes the follower to come up out of the mag tube? Is there a certain way to bend the spring or trim coils off?

It doesn't fit completely right BUT if it works, leave it....It may be a bit narrow but that's better than too wide. I too had trouble with Gram's followers but when I "fit" them to a mag they worked great but then I have fit the SVs and others to make them work so I guess the answer is...fit them to the mag. I'm anxious to try Dave's new competition and "tactical" followers...

Don't forget that when the slide cycles (during firing) there is a bump at the back of the stroke where the slide stops against the frame and begins to move forward. This bump often sets the rounds up for feeding correctly and stops the nose diving. That is why we spring our guns for the type of ammo and slide weight we use....

I saw where guys are using 9 & 10# springs in the .40 Sight Trackers and 6# springs in the IMM Open guns!! I think this is too light but they say it works...If Newton was right with his 3rd law of physics then where is all the recoil energy going ?????

Mick

A27257

:blink:

What causes the follower to come up out of the mag tube? Is there a certain way to bend the spring or trim coils off?

Anyway to attach a pic so we can understand fully what the follower is doing? Are you for certain you recieved the .40 followers?

Zack