Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Conversion to Steel gun

jmatt

I have an STI Trubor Competitior I use for IPSC. I would like to use it for Steel and plate shooting, but it will only cycle properly with major PF loads. I have tried minor loads with the standard 10 lb spring as well as Wolf 7 lb and 8lb springs and it won't cycle properly. Any ideas?  

If the slide is of full weight from the factory, that is most likely your problem.  Minor loads have a hard time moving that much weight for proper function.  A tight fit just compounds the problem.  Have a good gunsmith take some weight off the slide.  There are many ways to do it...just look through "Front Sight" at the pictures.  Almost all smith's take a big hunk off the back where the rear sight would go.  My open gun slide is down to 9.2 oz and functions fine from a 175 PF down to a 125 PF for steel.  Most steel plate guns have extremely light slides to work properly with light loads.

Hope that helps some!

Matt

If it will be a permanent conversion, I would suggest re-barreling to 9mm. It is easier to work up a minor load and much cheaper brass as well. Since it is a 38super slide, the slide will also work for 9mm, the extractor just needs to be tuned to a rimless case.

After lightening the slide, you'll need to use a heavier spring for your major loads and maybe a shok-buff to boot.  I shoot a very light slide for Action Pistol (120 PF) with a 6 or 7 lb spring, but when I go to major loads, I have to run a 16 lb with a buff behind it.  The buffs last through several hundred shots with the minor stuff, but get eaten VERY quickly with the spring change and major loads.

Just a thought.  

Alan

Allan550,

Thanks for the advice.

I am relatively new to this - and learning on the fly - where can I find info about how shock-buffs work and where can I buy them?

Also, do you find your gun has a difficult time cycling properly with a 16 lb spring? Also, is the point of using a heavy spring to keep the now lightened slide from getting slammed?

Thanks

jmatt,

The shock buffs are made by several different places, I use the Wilson Combat design.  It's a 1/10th inch thick piece of 'poly fiber" (read plastic) that fits between the recoil spring and the guide rod to help prevent frame battering.  

The 16 pounder is for hot stuff to slow the slide.  I'm referring to a 124 gr. bullet @ 1450 fps........factory 9X23 Win.  That was from my old 5" barrel, and I haven't clocked them since I put in a 6", but they have to be faster.

Between the buff and the heavier spring, slide speed is pretty close to the same as with the lighter spring & loads.  At least that's how it feels to me, the amatuer that I am! :-)