Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Wsl In Bianchi 38 Super Loads

Service Desk

I have just purchased 10lbs of Winchester WSL - it was too good a deal not to take it (like so many others no doubt !) - even though it has been out of production since 1998.

I intend to load my Bianchi 38 super with it, but can't seem to find much data other than an old Winchester guide that lists WSL in 9mm loads.

I will use 122gn coated lead projectiles for practice and 115gn sierra's or Hornady XTP 115's for matches.

Anyone have any experience with WSL and especially in Bianchi shooting ?

I have just purchased 10lbs of Winchester WSL - it was too good a deal not to take it (like so many others no doubt !) - even though it has been out of production since 1998.

I intend to load my Bianchi 38 super with it, but can't seem to find much data other than an old Winchester guide that lists WSL in 9mm loads.

I will use 122gn coated lead projectiles for practice and 115gn sierra's or Hornady XTP 115's for matches.

Anyone have any experience with WSL and especially in Bianchi shooting ?

King Doug (Doug Koenig) uses WSL, at least his plan was until his supply runs out. Without any doubt it must be a superb powder for light 38 Super loads especially with Sierra 115 JHPs, as that also is Doug's recipe.

My recall was that when DK used WW231 his recipe was 5.1gr. My guess is that approximately 4.3 - 4.6gr of WSL would be "approximately" the load to reach around 1110-1130 fps. I know 4.5 - 4.6gr of Titegroup also works in that load combo as does 4.2 - 4.3gr of CLAYS. OAL can be a critical dimension too so proceed with caution, especially with Sierra 115 JHP as the Sierra manual shows a very stubby OAL.

I obtain <2" groups consistently with the following recipes:

Dillon 650 same settings produce all OAL at 1.245" +/- .003 .

"Crimp" dimension .380+/- .0005

Data works for my guns, given as example only.

115gr ZERO JHP, Sierra 115 JHP all run about 1100 fps+/- 30

5.1 WW231, 4.6 Titegroup, 4.3 CLAYS

125gr ZERO JHP, 125 Sierra JHP, 125 Hornady HAP JHP, *121 Hornady HAP JHP all run about 1050fps +/- 30 *The 121 runs a little faster @1065 +/- 30

4.6 WW231, 4.3 Titegroup, 4.0 CLAYS

In my guns the Sierra's are the most accurate, the Hornady HAP's a close second and the ZEROs are adequately accurate at almost half the cost of Sierra's. The Hornady HAP's are a quality bullet at around .075 a bullet, compared to ZERO's at .065, but Sierra's now are .11 or more! Sierra's are .13 or more for 125's.

Be safe, if in doubt don't!

Good Luck,

Martin

Edited by Allgoodhits

Thanks guys - I tried 4.8 gns behind a Winchester 125gn HP (bulk pak specials) - wow !! at 25 yards it was just one ragged hole about a half inch in diameter.... and that was for 6 shots.

At 50 yards it was an inch and a quarter 6 shot group. All in all I am very impressed.

Even the coated 122gn lead projectiles were well under 2 inches at 50 yards - and the gun is much cleaner than when I shoot Winchester 231 or WST.

Seems that I got a real bargain.

Thanks guys - I tried 4.8 gns behind a Winchester 125gn HP (bulk pak specials) - wow !! at 25 yards it was just one ragged hole about a half inch in diameter.... and that was for 6 shots.

At 50 yards it was an inch and a quarter 6 shot group. All in all I am very impressed.

Even the coated 122gn lead projectiles were well under 2 inches at 50 yards - and the gun is much cleaner than when I shoot Winchester 231 or WST.

Seems that I got a real bargain.

That's a good shooting gun you have there! Did you chrono any of the loads you mentioned? My guess would be that the 122gr lead would be significantly faster with the same charge.

I have often wondered if WSL is Titegroup. Hodgdon gets powder through OLIN, which is the supplier of WW powders. Titegroup came on the scene about the time WSL went off the scene. WW231 and HP38 are nearly exact. Anyone have any Titegroup and WSL that they can do a visual, drop bar, and weighted charge comparisons?

They absolutely deny this vehemently, but I tried load data I had with WSL on TG, and my chrono data was very close....... ;) I have also been told it is WSL with an additional coating on the powder for a flash suppresant, but who really knows.... :mellow:

I know 3.5 TG with a 122 lfp at 50yds will shoot like the old load with WSL...... B)

DougC

The 125's were a bit quicker 1092fps avg (136pf). I used 4.5gns of WSL on the 122 lead projectiles to get 1058 fps (129pf).

The recoil seems pretty soft yet the slide cycling is still positive and crisp.

My gun is an SVI 2011 style frame with an STI slide and Nowlin 38 Super barrel with a steel 3 port comp. It shoots real sweet. :D