Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bending the Extractor

pwalker

I am new to 2011 style guns.  A few times during IPSC matches, I've seen other people having extraction jams with their open guns.  Usually, the first thing that they do, is to take the gun to a safety zone, pull out the extractor, bend it a bit, and then put it back in.  Sometimes this fixes the problem and sometimes not.

My question is about this extractor bending technique.  Is it something that I should know about?  

I know that I should occassionally check to see if the extractor is gripping right by inserting a live round up under the extractor and seeing if the extractor holds it in place.  I have been told that the round should "droop down a bit but not fall out".

But, as a remedy for extraction jams, (if they ever happen) when should I apply the extractor bending technique?  And, in which direction should I bend it and how?  And, how much bending is required?

All advice gratefully received.

Regards

Peter

Peter,                                                       It doesnt hurt to know how to adjust extractors. Shred had a great extractor tool fabricated from easily found parts, I think search for " 2.50 extractor adjuster" or something like that. The TLAR ( that looks about right) method is not the best way to adjust IMHO, but could be used in a pinch. Weigand has a trick tool for measuring tension ( Brownells).  But you want a hold that is firm but not tight and holds a live round in any position with slide removed, it should take about 4 lbs. of pressure to release the round. I am sure you will get more specific answers from REAL smiths, but my .02                                    Travis F.

I'm no gunsmith, this is just what I was told and used when my extractor broke and I had to fit a new one. (Actually two: a replacement and a spare.)

I bent them holding them half-way in the slide. The empty-case tension thing is a first step. The next step is hand-cycling slowly. The chambered round should not quite fall down through the magwell when ejected; it should dribble out the port. The most important step is test-firing; the proof is in the shooting.

A too-tight extractor will cause noseramp feed jams. A too-loose extractor will throw brass all over the place. If you can't get it perfect, looser is better. However, Open guns will be less tolerant of a loose extractor because of scope mount ejection clearance issues. In fact, Open guns just might require professional witch doctor juju.

I recommend buying a second extractor, shaping it, (another subject?), fitting it, and tuning it. You don't want to do that at a match. My experience is the only things that break are extractors and sights.

I have tried to track down Kuhnhausen's "Colt .45 Automatic".  Amazon says that it is out of print.  One online bookshop has a copy but does not ship to Thailand.

Would it be possible for you to send me the section from the book - if it is not too much trouble.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice.  I am going to follow all of it.   Rufus the Bum, thanks for your offer of a loan of the Kuhnhausen book.  I am sure that I'll learn a lot from it.   Also, thanks to the Aftec advisors.  I am going to buy one over the internet and then test it in my gun to see if it works.   Meanwhile, the gun, an STI custom shop (Emporer) continues to perform flawlessly....

Regards

Peter     :)