Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting Up An Ar-15 For Highpower, 3gun, And Self Defense

atek3

Maybe Billski is thinking of the .50 Beowulf and not the 6.5mm Grendel when he is talking about windage problems.

Me, I still think .223 in an AR (match or service rifle) with the right bullet is as good as it needs to be for 10's and X's at up to 600 yards. Saves lotsa' bux on the build and lets you shoot a lot cheap.

I did see this 6.5 Grendel upper for pretty cheap though: http://www.competitionshooting.com/catalog...ory33/product41

Glad to hear that Kurt is in agreement with me about the Grendel being a cool thing for social use. There are some concerns in play though about a doublefeed propensity for this type of stubby shouldered cartridge that haven't been independently tested yet.

Anyone else hear about the Grendel's reliability index in a box mag fed semi-auto?

Glad to hear that Kurt is in agreement with me about the Grendel being a cool thing for social use. There are some concerns in play though about a doublefeed propensity for this type of stubby shouldered cartridge that haven't been independently tested yet.

Anyone else hear about the Grendel's reliability index in a box mag fed semi-auto?

I think the feeding thing is one of those theoretical beefs such as "AR-15's ^$ where they eat, therefore they are unreliable guns, get a FAL", when in fact a well setup AR-15 is incredibly reliable... I think "grendle is stubby therefore it doesn't feed" is along similar lines, a good thing to worry about in preproduction, but now hundreds of uppers are out there being shot and I don't see any complaints about feeding on 65grendel.com

atek3

The Grendel isn't the specific cart being slammed for issues. All of the new "Short Magnums" are supposebly prone to some feed and ejection issues compared to traditional bottleneck carts that have less "junk in the trunk". Stovepipes are evidently more frequent with the phat bottom boys compared to regular proportioned cases.

Just wondering if anyone has heard of the "Grendel" specifically suffering any of these occasionally reported woes that the 6.8 SPC and some of the PPC 6's have been rumoured to suffer when run in box mag semi-auto's at higher rates of fire than one round every now and then.

I agree with you assesment of the AR feeding myth too, but am not as certain on this one as I have heard of the 6.8 SPC having jam issues.