Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vv 320 & Laser Cast 200 Swc

medic21

My favorite VV320 recipe for 230gr MG JHP is 4.9. It pushes it out of my full-size1911 around 785 ft/sec. I recently inherited a whole lot of 200gr Laser Cast SWC. My desire is to continue using VV320 and to get in excess of 825 ft/sec. Any recommendations as where I should start? VV says start at 4.7. I'm looking for "field experience" in order to save some time and money, not book data. I do have a chrono. Thanks

My favorite VV320 recipe for 230gr MG JHP is 4.9. It pushes it out of my full-size1911 around 785 ft/sec.

Medic: Did you ever load the N320 higher than 4.9gr with the 230gr JHP ? If so, I'd be interested to see what your chrono results were with the higher charge weights.

Edited by alzo

My favorite VV320 recipe for 230gr MG JHP is 4.9. It pushes it out of my full-size1911 around 785 ft/sec.

Medic: Did you ever load the N320 higher than 4.9gr with the 230gr JHP ? If so, I'd be interested to see what your chrono results were with the higher charge weights.

Yes I have data but it is flawed due to me not being chrono-wise last spring (ignoring sunlight and not being 10' back) - sorry. I did go out today (in the shade) and pushed 746 ft/sec with an ES of 43 and SD of 18; ambient temp was 50. If you want the data anyway, let me know & I'll send it.

FWIW: I loaded-up 4.9 of VV320, Laser Cast 200 SWC, from the full-size 1911 and got 850 ft/sec, ES of 63 and SD 27. It was extremely accurate - at 10 yds all touching & a half-dollar would cover them.

I have some data for that exact combo, from a 5" Kimber Custom II.

200 Laser-Cast SWC n320 at ~1.256"

4.7 av. 813fps sd 11 (for 10 shots)

4.4 av. 768fps sd 23 (ugh)

another run at a chrono on a later date...

4.7 av 803fps sd 9

With 200grain bullets, I pretty much decided on 5.0gr of n320 in a 1911, but have started shooting Titegroup, just because I have so much. The interesting thing is, so far, I've been able to substitute TG for n320 and use the exact same amount of powder. <shrug>

how much smoke did the N320 load make with the lead bullet?

Titegroup is NASTY with lead...how does n320 work out?

Harmon

Funny you should mention that -- I mostly practice in an indoor range, and the last practice session I had some 230gr lrn's loaded on both powders. The TG loads were dramatically smokier, and I can't figure out why, since I thought smoke was a function of the lube burning (mostly).

titegroup has the highest nitroglycerin content of any modern smokeless powder. thus it burns REALLY hot.

its probably burning the bullet, lube and everything else.

For less smoke and softer recoil WST works...though i like clays better.