Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Front Sight

Irate

I recently bought a hi-viz front sight for my glock 34 and am very pleased with it. However, when I took the old one out and installed the new one, I was never able to completely tighten it down. If anyone has ever seen one of these sights, they have a small bolt with a tiny hexagonal head. I tightened it down the best I could but I could twist it a little and after some shooting it got worse. I used one half of a vise-grips to kinda push the bolt clockwise but the results were unsatisfactory. Any suggestions? Anyone who has this sight and has tighened it to where it won't unscrew with firing? I want to avoid loc-tite if i can, but that would be a last resort. Thanks

Irate

Most, if not all, of the Glock aftermarket sights go on with the little bolt. I understand you want to avoid the LockTite but it's been my experience that it's the way to go. I have TruGlo TFO sights on my G19 and was worried that they would come loose. I used LockTite on the screw and the underside of the sight so it was "glued" to the slide. It's worked just fine without any indication of loosening.

BTW, if your sight did not come with a little wrench, you should see if someone local to you has one you can borrow. I think a 1/4" socket or an interchangable bit screwdriver with the bit removed may fit but you might have to grind the face of the socket flat. Brownells carries the right tool as well Sight Tool

Edited by iainmcphersn

3/16" socket fits the Hi-Viz sights nicely. On a 34 you might have to purchase a seperate

sight tool to get a socket that will fit through the hole in the bottom of the slide. Use some blue Loc-Tite.

The part that fits in the slide hole on a Hi-Viz is either tapered a bit or has some radius at the top where it meets up with the part that holds the light-pipe. Remove the light-pipe and tap down on the sight over the stem that fits in the slide hole. Look at it from the side and if there is any light showing under the sight tap some more, until it fits down tight to the slide. THEN degrease the threads, apply a tiny drop of Blue Loc-Tite, and screw the teeny little bolt in snug.

If you use a spray gun cleaner, watch out for the Hi-Viz light pipes. They melt badly in

some solvents.

Thank you both for the help, it looks like I will be using loc-tite after all. To open17, if I remember right, I didn't see any light between the slide and the sight but I will look again and use the technique you described if need be, thanks for that. And to iainmcphersn, I looked at the page with the sight tools and I may just purchase one, very helpful link.

Irate