Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Gunsmithing Help Needed

rwmagnus

I pulled a bonehead move my forcing the right side magazine release screw (support side for right handed shooter) and broke half the head off. Now I can't get the screw to turn to take out the assembly to finish taking the gun apart.

I'm away form home at the moment but thinking of a solution and thought I'd post here. I spent about 20 minutes trying to coax the screw into the release position with a small screw driver, but couldn't gete any traction on the screw head. I'm guessing it has to be drilled out. I'd like not to destroy the release but that's not the end of the world either.

Any suggestions?

Try Locktite gel super glue.

Take a small piece of wood or metal, preferably tapered to fith the screw slot and place a drop of the gel glue on the wood or metal let it set for 30 sec. and the carefully place it on the screw.

Dont force it or you could spread the glue.

Another thing you might consider is taking an allen wrench of the same diameter as the "screw", filing a notch in the long end so that it matches up with the broken "screw" head, and JB welding that SOB in there. Let it cure for a day or so.

If it were me, I'd probably just drill the SOB out and write off the mag catch as a loss, if it gets damaged. But I think you may be able to drill it out without ruining the catch, if you're careful.

Another thing you might consider is taking an allen wrench of the same diameter as the "screw", filing a notch in the long end so that it matches up with the broken "screw" head, and JB welding that SOB in there. Let it cure for a day or so.

If it were me, I'd probably just drill the SOB out and write off the mag catch as a loss, if it gets damaged. But I think you may be able to drill it out without ruining the catch, if you're careful.

That JB weld thing is a great idea. I'd just trash it but it's drilled and tapped plus hard chromed to match the gun. Again not the end of the world to trash it