Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Holsters Recommendations?

elenius

Which should I get? I've looked at Safariland's 002, the CR speed holster, and ghost holsters. Anyone have experience with any of these? I want to use it with the Ruger GP100 that I have now, but it needs to be adjustable for when I get a different revolver...

The CR, Ghost, or SpeedSec 5 would all be good chioces. You can do all your shopping right here.

http://shootersconnection.com/store/index....af2d61dbd840ec6

http://shootersconnection.com/store/index.php?cPath=39

http://shootersconnection.com/store/index.php?cPath=128

The PWL would not be legal, at least in the US, because of the exposed trigger guard.

Edited by scooterj

I don't know if the triggerguard widths vary between SW, Ruger, Colt and Taurus revos. I only have two S&W. Thus, I'd suggest you get a holster that either doesn't depend on the trigger guard for retention of the gun (like the PWL or the Safariland) or one that you can adjust the "hold" on that t-guard, a la CR Speed with the shims. My $0.02

HAPPY WHEELGUNNING!!

Hmm, what about the SpeedSec? The trigger guard retention is not adjustable on that one?

Does the CR come with those shims?

I would like the holster to be able to handle different barrel lengths, as I'm sure I'll want to use with several different revolvers. So I guess the safariland and the PWL are out.

Sorry, not familiar with the SpeedSec, nor with the Revo Ghost. The CR does include the shims and works with different barrel lengths.

Now, I'm not sure if you have to get the Short or the Long CR to use with a 6" gun. I got a Long gun version and had to cut it to work with my 5" S&W.

The Safariland, although had a non-adjustable length, retains the gun by the cylinder. For the longest time I used a Safariland made for 6" guns with my 625 five-inch.

Go to the revolver forum and ask there. One of those guys can give you better info. I'm a revo newby.

most of the big dawgs are using the CR Speed, it's a good well made holster that is fast on the draw...and really holds the gun in place.

I'm leery of the holsters with the front cut away, they have a tendency to let the gun come out when the butt is pushed forward. it may not fall all the way out, but when it does start to go, it's a scary feeling. I had it happen with a couple of those style holsters, so when using them, a retaining strap around the barrel/holster is used. That becomes a pain in the butt when you forget it at LAMR and when you finish a run, you've got to dig out the strap from where ever you hid it.

Kydex pouch holster are ok until you hit longer than 4 inch barrels, then you find out how hard it is to pull the gun out of the holster. You feel like a monkey at the zoo scratching fleas under your armpits...

Try a CR Speed and I think you'll be happy, I did and started replacing my other holsters with CR's...

michaels