Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last thoughts

benos

Since this now a full-fledged forum, complete with our very own theoretical physicist moderator, I felt overwhelmed to note a few thoughts. :) (Fully prepared, of course, to embrace the harsh and possibly critical words of the man-in-charge, or moderator, if you will.)

The most important task of the recoil spring is to ensure that the gun functions reliably. (110%) Basically, this means that the gun FEED, all the time. This also includes devices you might add to the recoil spring area of the gun, like shock buffs or Sprinco guide rods.

To illustrate how little the actual spring weight affects the guns ability to return to the spot it left from, when fired, try the following. Assume your natural freestyle position, aimed at a target at 10 or 15 yds. (Depending on your skill level, or "time behind the gun.") Close your eyes and fire a shot - open your eyes when the gun recovers from recoil and see where the sights are lined up. If you've been shooting for awhile (whatever that means), you should notice that your sights are lined up fairly close to where they were before you fired the shot. When practicing the "shooting blind" drill, I could occasionally hit an 8" plate at 15 yds up to 4 times in a row (with my eyes closed all the time). The only thing this means is that I am able to NOT DO ANYTHING TO INHIBIT THE GUNS NATURAL TENDENCY TO RETURN FROM WHERE IT STARTED. Trust me, if the gun doesn't return relatively close to where started, you are adding something that is not needed - in an attempt to "control" the gun. No matter what spring I put in the gun, it didn't make any difference whatsoever. (Try it for yourself.) I also noticed, after firing a few shots to allow my body to "adjust" to the different setup, it didn’t make any difference if I changed things like the weight of the guide rod or mag-well. To me, this tells me that OBJECTIVELY, none of this stuff makes any difference. Nevertheless, subjectively, I do prefer some combinations over others. Person to person, the way perceive and feel things vary as widely as the number of individuals on the planet. So, I guess my point is – don’t get trapped by the IDEA that switching springs and weights around in your pistol will make any difference whatsoever in the score you may shoot on a given string.

Make your gun work first, then learn to shoot it. Then, mess with it, if you feel like it. Think of the first words in the previous sentence as the first Fundamental of the Technical Realm. (Especially since we now have a Technical Forum.)

Here’s a good drill to cultivate the concept of "not doing anything extra to the gun." Place two ten inch steel discs at 25 yds, about four yds apart. Draw and fire one hit on each. Keep doing this forever, noting your time, and relating it to how your entire body - hands, arms, trunk, and mind - feels while doing it.

be