Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Olympic 9mm Ar - Any Good?

chp5

I shot my new 16" Oly 9mm upper today. I shot it with the Oly mag (modified Sten) and with the Hahn mag block and unmodified Sten mags. Both functioned 100%.

I only shot it in the pits at 5-25 yards at steel and cardboard. It was a lot of fun to shoot. Thanks for your comments.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to put in my .02

If you use a RRA 9mm Upper (like mine) or a Bushmaster, or a colt, or any "colt" pattern 9mm upper, you do not have a "dedicated" lower. All you need to do is swap the hammer to a DPMS hammer. That's all I did, and then I installed a Jard Adjustable trigger. It breaks at 1.5 lbs, and never fails to light off the primers. Too swap lowers pull the pins, and swap out the heavy 9mm buffer for a carbine buffer and your good to go.

As for comps, I found that they don't really help. I ran a little experiment and shot the rifle with no comp, A2 Birdcage, and Smith Brake. I fired 5 shots at a target 7 yards away as fast as I could pull the trigger. No comp left a 4" group, A2 Birdcage left a 2.5" group, and the Smith Brake left a 3-3.5" group.

Ask N2IPSC what it's like to RO a 9mm on a field course. The timer has a tough time picking up the 9mm sometimes. I ran one stage (4) times, and out of the 36 rounds fired, the timer picked up shots 1-2-3, and 36. My split between shots 3 and 36 was 29 seconds. Maybe I should practice trigger control more. :P