Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Questions Regarding An Open Shotgun?

PistolPete

Thanks for all your help and opinions in my previous post. I've decided that I enjoy shooting tactical shotgun but I absolutely love shooting open pistol and hopefully the same for rifle. I've decided that instead of turning my Benelli M1 into an open gun that I would get another gun dedicated to open. I was originally going to go with another Benelli but with much convincing a local shooter convinced me to go with a Remington. So I've decided if I get another shotgun it will be an 1187. I was thinking of buying a JP tuned Open shotgun and am curious if this is my best way to go. I figure it is prob. twice as much as just buying an 1187 and adding some parts. I'm not even sure if I want to put a red dot on the gun as I'm not sure if there is an advantage? I won't be making purchase for some time now and am just trying to gather as much info and differences of opinions as I can. I'm hoping to be able to try some different setups between now and then. My thought is that a dot would be good with slugs esp. with difficult shots but I would think on bonus targets such as clays it wouldn't be as good because the dot would be lost with the orange clay???

Or, would my best bet to be to just watch the classifieds for a used open shotgun? I'm in no rush at all on getting one and this could save me a ton of money. I would just be nervous about getting something that is being sold because it doesn't work right.

Anyways, thanks in advance and I respect everyones opinions.

Pete

Edited by PistolPete

Get the JP, there is a difference in what they put in the package as far as the trigger work and the porting goes. The rest of the goo-gaws you can add yourself do nothing for the shootability of the gun. A melted in JPoint with 8 MOA dot out on the bbl is a wicked fast sighting system and much more precise when needed than any open sight combo other than full on rifle sights. Get the dot! It's Open, none of the big dawgs don't have an optical sight on their Open shotguns.