Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Or Dillon?

cgknoxmd

I will be purchasing reloading equipment soon. A reader in Field & Stream recommended the Lee Pro 1000 at "half the price of the cheapest Dillon" and implied that he thought the Dillon was overrated. The guys at the gun club (and here at the forum, as well), seem to not even think there is anything else worth considering. I've got two good friends with Dillons, one which really doesn't say that much about it, and the other, who insists that it is the "Cadillac" of presses and I would be disappointed with anything else.

Truthfully, I've never been impressed by Cadillacs. I like Dillon as a person, and from reading the Blue Press, it's almost enough to make me buy it. But I cannot tell just by looking or reading from Dillon's advertising exactly what it is that makes the Dillon products worth two to four times the money. Can someone please explain this to me?

I have had a RL550b for over 7 years. The machine performs just like the day I bought it. I'm thinking of buying a XL650 now, because I am reloading a lot more and the auto indexing feature really cuts down on the time. I'd buy a XL650 and don't look at anything else. I bought the RL550b, because at the time I reloaded for many calibers and the RL550b is quicker to change from caliber to caliber and it is substantially for me less expensive.

However, the XL650 has more stations (thus it allows you to install a bullet feeder (i.e. take a look at the feeder on bulletfeeder.com; really cool)). You can also install a powder checker that many people like. If you are tight on money and you don't want to pay too much get the RL550b if you can spend a little more I recommend the XL650.

Have fun and happy shooting.

P.S. By the way my first machine was a Lee single stage machine that I loved for many years and still have (I don't use it), but the Dillon is far superior.

Been shooting for 3 months and "unfortunately" this shooting habit looks like it's become a lifelong fascintation already.

On the average, I've been shooting 1000 rds (.40 SW) per month, and I just joined the IDPA and am looking into local USPSA clubs.

Reloading seems like a sound financial investemtn, but I'm unsure if I would be best with a 550b or the 650XL.

I have absolutely no reloading experience.

I'll be reloading .40SW for sure, and perhaps 9mm (I own two 9mms) and maybe eventually .45ACP.

I'd rather not spend any more than I have to, so I can squander the money on ammo, training, and as for drives to the competitions.

Will a 550b work for me? Or will I end up kicking myself for not buying a 650 before long?

Thanks for your guidance.

Been shooting for 3 months and "unfortunately" this shooting habit looks like it's become a lifelong fascintation already.

On the average, I've been shooting 1000 rds (.40 SW) per month, and I just joined the IDPA and am looking into local USPSA clubs.

Reloading seems like a sound financial investemtn, but I'm unsure if I would be best with a 550b or the 650XL.

I have absolutely no reloading experience.

I'll be reloading .40SW for sure, and perhaps 9mm (I own two 9mms) and maybe eventually .45ACP.

I'd rather not spend any more than I have to, so I can squander the money on ammo, training, and as for drives to the competitions.

Will a 550b work for me? Or will I end up kicking myself for not buying a 650 before long?

Thanks for your guidance.

So long as you aren't trying to load all 1K rounds in one evening, the 550 should do just fine. Personally, I like the manual index.

Edited by epj

I started a few years ago with a lee auto turret, and i don't regret it at all. It's really easy to set up, powder drop works great, and I spent a little over $100 for it with dies. It's now used for low volume stuff, bolted to the opposite end of the bench from the blue press!

I said it before and I;ll say it again...

Dillon, 650 and 2 Dillon 1050's. If I had to have only one, I would go with the 650, but I would not consider anything but a Dillon.

When I started out, one of my employees was a commercial reloader, over a million rounds a year, he essentially said Dillion was all he'd use for a manual press. He has about a dozen plus a couple automatci machines.

I think he has the experiance level to follow.

Definately go Blue!

Jim