Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suggest A Smith For Threading My 590a1 Barrel For Chokes

Overkill

I've decided my SG needs chokes. The cylinder bore on the stock A1 Heavy Barrel is just not getting enough shot on the steel if its too far away. Can anyone suggest someone to do the work, or is this something I can trust the local guy in town with. His rep is that he can do the basics but nothing too special.

Simmons Guns in Kansas, IIRC they are in Overland KS. Simmons has been one of the best shotgun barrel houses for decades, and they do a lot of work for high dollar shotgun smiths that get backed up.

They put a rib and chokes on a M12 Winchester for me, it was flawless. Other work I have seen from them is flawless too.

IIRC your 590 bore is .729" or a standard barrel. If it were me I would thread it for RemChokes to take advantage of the cheap chokes available for the Remington system. I would order a set of extended knurled chokes from Hastings, chokes in .004" increments are how they number them. A #0 is a cylinder bore, a #1 has .004" of choke, a #4 has .016" of choke. A set of #2, 4 and 6 should take care of anything you need to do. Hastings chokes are as good as any and better than all but maybe Briley and Colonial, and they cost about half of what Briley tubes do.