Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

can't use buffer

rooster

I am having a problem in trying to use a shok buff.  I have measured my slide travel and it is 2.140 inches.  If I mark my slide to where I get maxium travel and install a shok buff, my slide travel is about the width of the buff short of full travel.  I have cut off 5 coils of a 33 coil recoil spring and no difference, but when I take the buff out my total travel returns to normal.  I have a caspian slide and frame.  Has anyone got any ideas?

Chuck, I'm trying to understand your problem.  By putting in a shok buff, you will be reducing slide travel unless you modify your slide by cutting and shortening your spring tunnel (as Brian has mentioned elsewhere).  As Brian and others have also posted in the forum, some people consider shortening the slide stroke to be a good thing IF your gun will run it.  

Cutting coils off of the recoil spring should only lengthen the slide stroke IF the spring is binding and the coils are fully compressed BEFORE the slide reaches full travel.  This is a bad thing.  However, once the spring is short enough to allow full travel, shortening it further is not a good idea.  Assemble the gun without the spring and without the buff.  Now mark full slide travel.  Put the buff in (still no spring) and try it again.  It should be shorter by the width of the buff as you have noted.  Now with the spring in it should not change.  Will it run with the buff in place and a good spring in it?  I would chunk the one with 5 coils cut off and start again with a new spring.  The most I have ever had to remove was 1/2-1 coil.  I hope this helped some and wasn't too confusing.

DB,  thank you for your advice I will try what you suggested.  I think that you hit my problem dead on.  I already did the math and the spring should not be in bind with only 2 coils cut off, but I couldn't understand why when I cut more off I didn,t get back my full travel.  I believe your check will tell me what I need to know.  thanks again.  chuck