Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idiot Management And The Companies They Destroy

carinab

He came home with paperwork stating that there won't be any med insurance to cobra because their "plan" is closing

Unless the health-care provider that their plan was with is closing *their* doors, that shouldn't be an issue. COBRA basically says that you have the right to continue your existing coverage, at group rates, even with the employer out of the picture.

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_cobra.html

How does a person become eligible for COBRA continuation coverage?

To be eligible for COBRA coverage, you must have been enrolled in your employer's health plan when you worked and the health plan must continue to be in effect for active employees.

Well, except for this little bit right here...no active employees, no eligibility. That's what TX BCBS is telling me. When I left Kalifornia, I ran into a loop hole too. I could cobra my coverage but it was a CA only plan not honored anywhere else. In other words, if I got sick I'd have to visit a doctor in CA for it to be covered.

It just sucks and there doesn't seem to be much to do about it.

Edited by carinab

If you plan to initiate any court action, see if you can get other employees to split the costs. And press the attorney about bringing any actions "individually and severally." That's the magic phrase that lets you (sometimes) pierce the corporate veil and go after the CEO's personal assets.

He/she may have structured things so the company has no money, but when it looks like a lawsuit might attach his car/house/401k/kids college fund he'll surprisingly be able to find corporate funds to pay with.

Me, I'm all in favor of selling such corporate types internal organs at auction to pay off debts.

And put me on the list: if you need to sell guns, you can buy them back at that price when you get back on your feet again.