Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Spring for Bul M5

mloch

I have just started playing around with recoil springs in my Stock Gun. It is a 5" Bul M 5 IPSC with a standard bushing-style ramped barrel (Nowlin) in 9mm. I use it mainly for the Bianchi Cup and my favourite ammunition is Magtech 95 grs SJSP factory ammo ( velocity: 1366 fts/sec)

Usually I use a 10 # Wilson recoil spring but I`ve tried a 8# Briley spring and I like the feeling of the gun with the lighter spring a lot. But I´m concerned that a 8# spring might be bit light.

What spring would you suggest for this setup? By the way I use one Wilson Shok Buff together with a Tungsten guide rod.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

as you can read all over the *springs* forum, the recoil spring should be regarded mostly an *ammunition feeding* spring. So....if your 8# spring still feeds 100% (!) reliably, you're o.k., especially with a shok-buff and 9mm. Just keep an eye on the buff. Btw., I didn't know Briley manufactures springs, maybe it's a repackaged Wolff?

--Detlef

I run 9mm for NRA Stock ( Tanfoglio ) and an STI in 38Super for stock ( 8lb with shock buffs ). I have found that a 115gr JHP is best. I run at bang on 125pf 1085fps for both. My sister in law has a para 9mm and she uses the 115gr at about 1100fps and this is so light to shoot it is weird. She runs the factory spring ( 13lb I think ) and the cases land just to her right hand side. No more than 4' from here feet.

I would run the lightest spring that gets you what you need. With the lighter spring the slide seems to open and close very snappy and seems to get back on target better.

Have fun

though much of it may be in one's imagination. I made a humbling blind experiment a while ago where I had a friend switch springs in my gun and I needed to tell by shooting whether it was the 14 lb or the 10 lb (in my .40 Limited). Bottom line: I couldn't reliably! I could 100% reliably by racking the slide, though....

--Detlef