Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Channel Liner Question?

atmar

hi guys,

i scratched the finish of my slide when i shot thru a port, the slide nicked a nail or something, anyway i have some brownells teflon/moly oven bake gun spray finish, but i'm worried that i might burn or melt the channel liner if i bake the slide in an oven, if im not mistaken its made of plastic....any thoughts???

You should plan on removing the channel liner before doing any oven curing of your finish. Replace it after the refinish is done either with the original one or a new one. They're cheap at about $1 per part. Make sure the rounded/beveled end goes to the front on reinstallation.

Wayne

You SHOULD remove it. However, I did leave one in once. Finished a slide with

Teflon/Moly, baked it with the liner in, no problem.

Just a scratch? Leave it--it's a good reminder of why you shouldn't stick you gun

through ports. Or try a magic marker on it.

If you do decide to remove the liner, get a new one. You will not get the old one out

without chewing it up a bit.

While conventional wisdom says that removal of the channel liner will damage it, I've found a way to do it that doesn't. Glock teaches in the Armorer's course to use a 5/16 bolt and to thread it into the channel liner and remove same, which obviously ruins it.

As an alternative, try this. Using a slotted patch holder on a cleaning rod, thread a .38-.45 sized patch (dry) into the patch holder with about 2/3 of the patch to one side of the slotted holder. Wrap the short end of the patch over the top of the holder and carefully run this into the firing pin channel and well into the channel liner. When you get enough patch in there, withdraw it with the liner attached. The liner is still usable.

As you may have guessed, I "found" this technique while cleaning a firing pin channel.

You scratched your Glock while using it for what you bought it for ;-) Heavens to Betsy, what next? Magazine basepads getting scratchhed when ejected? Wear marks on holsters?

:P:D:lol:

Seriously, back when my life was all about going fast on two wheels, I used to take a ball peen hammer and purposely put a dent into any new motorcycle I bought the moment it got home. Tank, fender, side cover, it didn't matter, just had to make me stop babying it so I could do with it what I actually bought it for, to go as fast as possible no matter what the bike had to go through. Isn't easy to keep em' purty' if you are really racing em' ;-)

If you bake it I'd take the plastic channel liner out. Channel liners are cheap and easy to replace so it isn't worth the risk.

In case you aren't familiar with removing the liner here is one version from http://www.glockfaq.com/gunsmithing.htm

How do I remove/install the channel liner?

Channel liner removal:

Go to the local hardware store and check out the wood screw section. Find a 3 1/2 long 5/16 Lag bolt. The average price is .55 cents. Insert the lag bolt, give it 1 or 2 twists by hand (you will feel it bite into the liner). Now just wiggle it out. The liner will be ruined but they only cost $2 each.

Channel liner installation:

There are two ends of the channel liner you need to be concerned with. The beveled end and the square cut end. The beveled end needs to be inserted into the slide. Push the channel liner in as far as you can with your finger. Then take a 3/8 dowel and finish pushing it in (the dowel should be pushing on the square cut end). It will be fully installed when you cannot push it in any more. [JR]