Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

fault lines and boxes

ErikW

Aren't fault lines and shooting boxes illegal in IDPA? I recall something from the rulebook about them. Maybe they were just pissing and moaning about USPSA/IPSC because there aren't lines and boxes in real life.

If I get into making IDPA stages for my club, I'd want to use fault lines to make people use cover, not subject them to the RO/SO's opinion as to how much they used cover.

Eric , the following is from the IDPA web site -rules section:

5.         Vision and physical barriers should be used to force the shooter to shoot from the specified positions rather than the use of fault lines (shooting ports also work well and tend to eliminate SO judgment calls).

I would think that as long as the scenario YOU DESIGN falls w/in a "realistic" action , then fault lines shouldn't be a problem.Especially at the local club level.

MP

so many rules ,so little time...

Good thread and timely as well since at the last IDPA match at the NRA rnage, the ROs had placed a strip of tape on the floor to help judge if the shooter was using enough cover for the RO. Couple of questions, in a firefight, what's the best/fastest way to check fault lines placed on the floor? Also, how much of your foot are you allowed to have touching, or on, the tape they put on the floor? I think you see my point - that club needs to re-think what IDPA is supposed to be about.  

I put down lines with ground marker paint. If the RO/SO sees a foot over the line he yells "cover", then the shooter corrects his lack of cover. If the shooter does not a procedural is called. The idea is to get shooters used to the "feel" of the proper use of cover. I know its not perfect but I got tired of seeing people way out beyond cover and not knowing about it.

If someone has a better idea on how to insure or train the use of cover I would be happy to try it:)

Cheers,

Keith