Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Saiga-12 The Saga Continues...

I just wanted to post an update regarding the Saiga problems I was having discussed here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34390

If you don't care to read it, basically the first Saiga I had was a lemon from the factory...constant problems with shaving plastic and lead into the gas system.

Tromix replaced this gun for me for free this past week, even though it wasn't their fault, with a brand new 19" barrelled model that had the correct gas port configuration.

I just took it out today and fired 60 rounds as fast as I could change magazines. no malfunctions with a wide variety of ammo (mixxed up in the mags even too). Loaded up the magazines again and fired another 60 rounds as fast as I could change mags. No malfunctions at all, though the gun was too hot to hold by the end.

I took apart the gas system to make sure there was no fouling, and there was indeed none.

Tromix is a stand up company, and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

In early August, I finally became the proud new owner of a new Saiga 12. I have been waiting since February.

I had it converted by a gunsmith (E-tac) in Hawaii. It has a Tapco single-hook trigger and a SAW pistol grip with a side-folding Ace M4 Socom stock, which is very rock-solid. I added some pipe insulation foam around the stock and secured it with cable ties to raise the height of the stock to better suit my side rail-mounted optic.

The result is a fast shooting gun with reloads as simple as swapping eight-round mags. (Like everyone, we are still wating on the 10-rounders.) With about an hour of practice, I am able to reliable load a full eight-round mag on a closed bolt, which is a tremendous advange. Instead of inserting two, four round sticks using a tube-loading shotgun, I just insert one eight-round magazine, which is faster.

There's also a last-round bolt-hold device on the market. I will waiting until the product becomes mainstream. For now, I will count my shots to make sure I have one in the chamber before inserting a new mag.

With all these benefits, I feel a Saiga 12 is the way to go for open class three gunning. I'm very happy with my purchase.

Mine has a manual last round bolt hold open device. Being left handed, it's easy for me to rack the bolt back and activate it at the same time. With the bolt locked open I can much more consistently gets the magazines seated...so I am considering doing this as part of my reload procedure every time.

Waiting for the 10 rounders myself...all I have right now are 5s.

Mine has a manual last round bolt hold open device. Being left handed, it's easy for me to rack the bolt back and activate it at the same time. With the bolt locked open I can much more consistently gets the magazines seated...so I am considering doing this as part of my reload procedure every time.

Waiting for the 10 rounders myself...all I have right now are 5s.

Haven't timed my reloads in a while, but I'm a little like you Sinistral (likely a bit slower? heh). I give up time for the surity of the load. My method is hard to speak, but basically I hold the bolt back with myl left while I switch mags with my right. I don't fumble, and I load my mags all the way to 9 rounds, so occasionally that ends up as a bonus.

I'm hearing the 10 round mags have a LITTLE play in them, to ease in loading on a closed bolt.

I purchased one of the BHO devices, but have yet to install it. Work is killing me lately.

-K

• 2 weeks later...

Well I used it at the local match today...both shotgun stages were only 11 and 12 rounds. So with 5 round mags it was a disadvantage. One of the stages less so because there was more movement I could change mags during.

Video: http://www.cavalryarms.com/vids/saiga-1.wmv

Good news though, the gun continues to run and it's fun to shoot.

Edited by SinistralRifleman